Varnish

Rob Stevens

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
I spent some time at an interesting auction of heritage items from the family of Richard Beasley, first European settler at the head of the lake (west end of Lake Ontario). I bought a few books on woodworking, antiques and primitives.

From, "Staining and Polishing: How to Finish Woodwork; Staining, French, Wax and Oil Polishing; The Cellulose Finish; Varnishing; Laquering", edited by Charles H. Hayward, 1946.

Chapter XXXIII Varnishing
"The chief value of varnish is the high degree of protection it gives to the wood to which it is applied, combined with brilliancy of appearance. It has greater resistance to wear and the effect of weather than polish, and this make it more suitable for work which is subjected to heavy usage or which is exposed to all weathers. Various grades are manufactured to suit the purpose for which it is required.

Modern varnish is manufactured on a large scale, and unfortunately, a good eal is not of a quality that carries recommendation with it. Thoroughly good varnish properly applied (and there is much art to this) becomes indeed a lasting preservative, besides adding enormously to the beauty of the article thus treated, especially in the case of finely wrought woods",...

It is important that the solution should be thin and fluid, and it ought to be easily capable of being spread evenly over any surface; while, by the use of colouring substances such as, say, gamboge, turmeric, saffron, dragon's blood, etc., beautiful tints of yellow, brown, and red, etc. can be given, so as to render the varnish highly decorative."

Classes of varnish covered include; Water, Spirit and Oil. Information is also provide on the Natural, Hard and Elastic properties of varnishes. Nothing specific is mentioned about spar varnish, but there is a section on Church varnish.

"When choosing a varnish for church seats, it should be remembered that it not only has to be handled very much, but that it also has to undergo the stewing of the heated and moist atmosphere charged with the breath of crowded congregations,... The heat of the hands or the heat of a crowded room will tend to make even the hardest oil varnish sticky."

Chapter XXXVII Varnishing -Faults and Their Remedies
This chapter includes "common faults and general hints on varnishing", including; bloom, dead or sleepy patches, blistering, cracking, pinholing and cissing, pock marks or pitting, flaking and peeling, grittiness, specks, perishing or gradual loss of lustre, wrinkles or crinking, creeping, streakiness, varnish not drying, ropey surface, finger marks, dull varnished surfaces and testing varnishes. General hints are categorized under; uniformity, undercoats, double coating, straining.

I read on.

Last edited:
Rob,

A really interesting find! We hear a lot about violin varnishes. Violin makers use spirit varnish. Turns out that's actually shellac. I don't know if it was doctored up with any other ingredients. I do know that good old shellac applied in many thin coats can be rubbed out to a magnificent finish with paste wax, mineral spirits and very fine steel wool. If you want a high gloss you can follow this with a rub out of rotten stone and linseed oil. Let us know what else you discover. Apparently in days gone by shellac was classed as a varnish.

Back