UFO needing ID

1905Gerrish

Loves Old Maine canoes
A friend sent me photos of this beautiful canoe he was trying to ID. I cannot find the exact decal that has seen better days unfortunately. It was restored about 10 years ago. Canoe is in the 1000 islands which my help a bit with the ID. I have not seen it in person and I'm not sure what is original and what it not.

Zack

Attachments

• ufo14.jpg
    ufo14.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 169
  • ufo17.jpg
    ufo17.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 146
  • ufo13.jpg
    ufo13.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 137
  • ufo12.jpg
    ufo12.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 121
  • ufo16.jpg
    ufo16.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 137
  • ufo11.jpg
    ufo11.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 148
  • ufo15.jpg
    ufo15.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
It is a beautiful and unusual canoe. There are things that suggest a possible Northern NY connection, and there are details that depart from the norm. More pictures would not hurt. I would like to see the stems and the planking pattern.
Are the tacks copper or brass? Does it have a keel and what is the shape?
There were quite a few skilled builders in the North Country who built a handful of canoes independently when they were no longer working for Rushton. I have one such oddity in my collection. There are certainly others and possibly this one.
Mike

Hey Zack, nice looking canoe and yes unfortunately a previous restoration may have altered some of the original work. The shape of the decal seems to be similar to the ones used by the Canadian Canoe Co? Here is is a version of it. Hope you get to identify this canoe, any serial number anywhere?
Gary
1695040783683.png

Attachments

• 1695040611335.png
    1695040611335.png
    418.2 KB · Views: 47
The shape of the decal seems to be similar to the ones used by the Canadian Canoe Co?

The shape may be more similar to the metal tag below from a retailer known as the New York Sporting Goods Company. I don't have a better guess.

Benson

N-Y-S-G.jpg

For what it's worth, I don't think it's like either the CCC decal or the NY Sporting Goods plate. I don't recognize it but the shape looks like this:

Screenshot 2023-09-18 at 7.50.49 PM.png

and the border looks like twisted rope. There appears to be some sort of rope topknot above the decal. Sure is a pretty canoe. Hope we can figure out who built it.

By the way, Benson, I have a canoe with the New York Sporting Goods plate just like the one above, and it is also an EM White (I say also because the one above looks like an early whit with cedar decks and closed gunwales). Do you know the canoe in that photo? Here's the one I have:

IMG_6252.jpg

Do you know the canoe in that photo?

Sadly, I don't. I will usually save a copy of any interesting image showing an unusual aspect of an old canoe when I see one while surfing the internet. These are commonly for my own personal use so I haven't typically done a good job of keeping track where these images originated. I tried to find the original source of this one again but wasn't successful. The date on this image is the same as several other similar deck tags so it probably came from a page showing many of them.

The obvious example of a page like this is at the link below on Dan's site. This also has two tags from the St. Lawrence River Skiff, Canoe & Steam Launch Co. which are a much better match for the outline on the UFO that Zack was asking about originally.

Benson

Hey Zack, nice looking canoe and yes unfortunately a previous restoration may have altered some of the original work. The shape of the decal seems to be similar to the ones used by the Canadian Canoe Co? Here is is a version of it. Hope you get to identify this canoe, any serial number anywhere?
Gary
View attachment 54319
Gary, unfortunately there are no numbers in the canoe.

Sadly, I don't. I will usually save a copy of any interesting image showing an unusual aspect of an old canoe when I see one while surfing the internet. These are commonly for my own personal use so I haven't typically done a good job of keeping track where these images originated. I tried to find the original source of this one again but wasn't successful. The date on this image is the same as several other similar deck tags so it probably came from a page showing many of them.

The obvious example of a page like this is at the link below on Dan's site. This also has two tags from the St. Lawrence River Skiff, Canoe & Steam Launch Co. which are a much better match for the outline on the UFO that Zack was asking about originally.

Benson

Makes sense from that area I suppose Benson. A bit surprised a decal cannot be nailed down positively. I went through Dan's page before I posted and saw the tags similar but they still do not have the crest, but it seems like this is the best we are going to get.

Back