UFO in WI

Hi all,

I just purchased this canoe, but have yet to see it in person. About all I have it second- and third-hand information and the two pictures for now. The info is that the canoe is 15'. It was purchased in Loyal, WI (north central WI) in the late 30's early 40's. I am not sure if it was purchased via a store or a builder. No identifying marks, although the seller could be missing something. I won't see it for a couple of weeks, but I am interested in finding out anything I can beforehand.

Thank you,

Joe

Attachments

• OwenUFO1.jpg
    OwenUFO1.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 366
  • OwenUFO2.jpg
    OwenUFO2.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 382
It looks like an early Canadian skiff as opposed to a canoe. Definitely a battened wideboard, but with some interesting characteristics like the bulkheads. It will be really interesting to see when the grime is cleaned off!

I like how the hole matches the hole in the jeans. looks like a homebuilt, are my eyes going or is it canvas covered?

Thank you for the responses. I have yet to see it, but am told it is the original canvas. The seller was certain it was not fiberglass. The "hole" is a patch of tar. The seller just gave me the name of the auctioneer that he bought it from, so I will contact him in the hopes of getting more direct information.

Back