Two-Tone Masking Tape

Dave Osborn

LIFE MEMBER
I've done a small handful of two-tone paint jobs using blue masking tape and frog tape with mixed results.
I have a customer that is requesting a custom paint job. What have others done to get a crisp line and turn a big radius like the canoe in the photo...?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 347
Good question, Dave. I would like to know more too.

I have had very good luck with thinner lines and striping using this product. I also use the auto enamel striping paint they sell. It is very fast drying.

http://www.finessepinstriping.com/

3M 218 fine line tape comes in various widths. The 1/2" width will stretch enough to conform to the curve in the photo. The 3/4" might even work. It is not cheap. Jamestown Dist. has it in widths from 1/4" to 1".

I agree with Gil. I have had good luck with the Fine Line tape that Jamestown offers. The wider width is cheaper than the narrower width. I’ve used the 1/2 inch with good results. I taped off the curve I wanted with the fine line tape and masked the rest of the canoe with blue masking tape or green frog tape and newspaper. The break between the two colors still needs a third color to create the visual transition. The pinstripe guy that worked on Stephanie Lynn did the line between the green and orange freehand. I could never do that myself because I drink too much coffee. Jamestown also sells tape with a center strip that you peel off to create fine stripes also. I’m sure auto paint dealers sell the same or similar tape.

Good luck,

Jim C.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 255
  • FinishedPaint 002.jpg
    FinishedPaint 002.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_0281.jpg
    IMG_0281.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 305
I second what Gil Cramer said. I've used this product on two canoes with good results... You may find it locally in auto-body supply or auto parts store chains like ADVANCED auto parts. The 1/2" width would probably work best for what you're doing. If you want go on YOUTUBE and watch a demo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3R8h6u4EI0 Not the same tape being used here, but good tips on application
Dave Westerman

The 1" tape is the perfect size for using for Old Town design #4. The smaller blue triangles are created after taping the large red/blue triangles by taping parallel to the shear.

Dave, I have and continue to use the EDGE all the way down to their 1/16" wide. It is an extremely thin mylar tape that will to as you wish. I have used the 1/4" for the curves you indicate and they become fun to do. Just make sure the edge to the paint is indeed adhering, and don't worry much about the inner portion. I suggest you lap over the tape upon itself some 1/2" at the beginning end as it is a PITA to begin the pull off when you do not need another thing to consider . You could call them...you will find them friendly and they will ship right away. And when doing a really long line you can pull some as you go. ...but remember to leave something to pull as you go. I think you will find the paint line will be very thin and the edge should be clean as a whistle.

Good luck and PATIENCE, PATIENCE, PATIENCE....Oh, and keep the rolls flat and covered as the mylar is so thin the roll will follow gravity when it can....and before you start laying the line check the edge of the roll and make sure there are no hardly- visible machining burrs at the edge of the roll. I have found very few, but they can be there and another PITA when you are painting the line.

Back