Trout Boat

I didn't see any of these posted so I thought I'd put this up. This is a Keuka Lake Trout boat built by Charles Pilgrim from the 1920's/30's. Trout boats were specific to Keuka Lake and used for Lake Trout fishing. Located in Hammondsport NY, Pilgrim was one of a dozen or so well known builders along the shores of the lake from Branchport down to Hammondsport and back up tp Penn Yan. A fisherman would row the boat trolling a line off the stern (no pole). Generally the lines would be set with bait at five different depths. Not knowing the temperature of the water this would give them a chance to find the correct thermal layer where the trout would be. When a fish was hooked they would row into the wind while bringing the line in at the same time. Generally the boats were 12' but some were 14'. This is a general description and I am not an expert however the Finger Lakes Boating Museum located in Hammondsport has a very nice collection of these boats as well as others from the Finger lakes region of New York. If ever in the area this is well worth the $10 admission. Photos are before and after.
DSC_0999.JPG DSC_0998.JPG DSC_0996.JPG DSC_0994.JPG DSC_0056.JPG DSC_0607.JPG DSC_0700.JPG DSC_0702.JPG DSC_0703.JPG DSC_0705.JPG

Mark, very impressed. Let me know if you find any near the bonfire. Would love to restore them like you have!

Back