Tremblay Canoe

BobK

Hi. Happy New Year
I just aquired my 1st Canoe.
With the help of your members helpful posts I have determined it to be a16 ft Ardida V stern covered in green Verolite.
It was only used 2 times and has been stored in a garage for the last 30+ years. I assume it dates to the last year Trembly Canoes was in existance...somewhere in the mid 70's as the story goes..It was a sales sample of a sales rep when the company shut it's doors.He gave one to each of his sons and this was one of them.
It is in Like New condition and I would like to keep it that way. I have hydrated the covering with 303 Areospace Protectant ( I also own a13' inflatable hypalon dingy ) and treated the keel and gunwales with a coat Watco Teak Oil. With all the horror stories of Verolite I need some tips on maintenence. I can't understand how the moisture gets behind the Verolite in the first place unless by poor storage or letting water sit inside for long periods. Would it be better to maintain the ribs and plank sides with teak type penetrating oils to fight wood rot or, since this basically a new canoe, reseal the inside varnish with new style 2 pack epoxy type clearcoat to keep surface water/standing water out. Another ideas is water based clearcoat which would allow the surface to breathe like current exteriorhouse paint.
Any suggestions would help as all my experience is car related as I am an auto mechanic by trade.
Cheers
Bob K
Ps. This is also my first post on any forum so please excuse me if I screw it up.

I have an verolite covered trembley that has been a stalwart preformer, the cover is as tough as it comes, but is vulnerable to UV, and will deteriorate quickly if left out in the sun for a few seasons. I have not used any surface protectant as I worry it will do more harm than good. Do not worry about water, worry about UV. I prefer cetol to epoxies or urethanes, it not may be as nice as a perfet vanish job; but is easier to recoat in 5-10 years.

Last edited:
Thanks for positive comment on Tremblay canoe Peter. I was afraid I might have had purchased a time bomb.I.'ll post how the Verolite looks with 303 Aerospace treatment after the winter storage. It has served well on inflatable and on cars.Excellent UV protection. FYI the best price I found was from manufacturers link on Amazon.ca.

I have had my trembley since the late 60s and the canoe and its cover had 10,000 miles on it in the first 10 years (i stopped counting). I have replaced the outwales, keel, stems over time due to wood/misture 'issues', the eastern cedar ribs and planking are fine and the cover is going strong (a few minor pinegum hole parches). The metal staples used at the factory to attach the margin of the fabric cover have rusted away so I used aircraft fabric glue to replace the disappearing metal. You will no doubt be impressed with how the cover looks after being kept inside! out of the sun when not in use. I think that is the key with the fabric and coating. Because of the dacron fabric base of the cover (verolite) it is not as badly affected by time and moisture: the paint and trditional whie lead used for canvas (cotton) was more UV impermiable, but the cotton base deteriotates.

Last edited:
Back