Thompson Take-Along 51666

Steve Ambrose

Nut in a Canoe
It's defininely a Thompson wood canvas boat but not sure which model. Narrow ribs with half ribs. 11'6" bow to transom. Steam bent seat to rail braces. Flat main keel with two bilge keels to either side. Canvas is gone as are the spray rails but the holes are there. 47" beam at widest measured to outside of outwales, 16" depth. Serial number on transom is 51666. Any idea what year/model this would be?

You are probably correct on Take-A-Long. I've restored a couple and just sold two.
I don't think the number will help with the model ID.
Andreas Rhude will probably chime in on the number. I think he gets you close, but not totally definitive.

Sounds like a Model 240 Take-Along. IS there a metal tag that tells the name and location of the manufacturer? If yes, what is on this tag, COMPLETELY and EXACTLY. Is there a SERIAL NO. on this tag? Is there a HULL ID stamped into the wood of the transom, inside the boat??

The SERAIL NO. and/or HULL ID will not give model. They can give us the model year, however. There are s bunch of pjhotos of Take-Along boats at my facebook page and the facebook page of the Thompson Antique & Classic Boat Rally, Inc.

Andreas

No metal tags left. The hull ID is 51666 (stamped into transom). The 11'6" length had me puzzled unless Thompson rounded up.

You are probably correct on Take-A-Long. I've restored a couple and just sold two.
I don't think the number will help with the model ID.
Andreas Rhude will probably chime in on the number. I think he gets you close, but not totally definitive.

Please check your PM Dave...

Boat manufacturers measured length around the gunwale, not the centerline. She's 12 ft. or very close to 12 ft. along the gunwale. IF this boat was made at Peshtigo, WI, the HULL ID "51666" indicates she was the 1,666th boat of all models made in the year 1955. How do I know the "5" indicates 1955, you may ask?

1. Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co started using HULL ID's in their watercraft after WWI , circa 1946-47. Watercraft built prior to that time did not have any type of ID on them.
2. They ceased making wooden boats in 1969
3. So this puts this particular wooden boat between 1946-47 and 1969. The "5" was the last digit of the model year, either 1955 or 1965. They did not make any Take-Along models or canvas covered boats in 1965
Therefore she is a 1955 model year boat.

You can look at the brochures on the CD-ROM or flash drive of Thompson brochures, available for purchase at the WCHA store.

Andreas

Back