The business of canoes

Not one of 'builders' here, I'm one of the 'easers'. I've bought a few dogs of different materials off Craigslist repaired them and sell/give them away. I not making any money off it yet but each boat presents a new lesson and reinforcement of an old.

Someday I will build.

Not one of 'builders' here, I'm one of the 'easers'. I've bought a few dogs of different materials off Craigslist repaired them and sell/give them away. I not making any money off it yet but each boat presents a new lesson and reinforcement of an old.

Someday I will build.

Building is easier than repairing a dog (at least one with advanced mange). The hard part is choking down the cost, time, and space required by the form unless you're into strippers :D

Beware - the form will nag you unless you use it periodically!

Thanks ambr607

Dogs may be harder but when you can pick up a 20' Wood/Canvas for $300. Theirs a lot of room for "Return".

And if you just build you're limited to one type/length canoe.

I'm a collector of dogs of all kinds, Hand Planes, other Old Hand Tools, Old Camp Stoves and Lanterns, Canoes... Give me a mutt any day.

I'm working on a little 12'r fiberglass now that I found in the dump. The wooden gunwales were rotten, decks and thwarts need refinishing and a crack in the side.
I've got it apart, all the wooden piece that can be save are refinished, next week I'll buy some lumber for the gunwales and plan on adding a center seat. It'll make a nice fishing canoe when I'm done, for little money.

Back