Strip plank vs canvas ??

Nessmuck

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Iam looking at getting into my first wooden canoe. I have found a 17 foot old town strip plank canoe. Could you canoe folks explain the pros and cons of a strip plank canoe vs the canvas canoes ..thanks !!

Hi,

This is probably a reasonable starting point. http://www.wikipedia.or.ke/index.php?title=Canoe

Canvas is really a covering, not a primary building material, although most "cedar" canoes are not built to function without an outer, impervious layer. Some people therefore refer to cedar-canvas canoes. Perhaps your intended boat has had the canvas replaced with glass fibre at some point?

Modern "cedar strip" construction is a composite sandwich with inner and outer layers of glass fibre and resin over a cedar core.

Grizzle

A wood/canvas canoe is built of component parts that can be replaced if damaged-- it can be made to appear new again, even after 100 or more years. When a stripper canoe is damaged, it might be fixed well enough to paddle again, but it won't look new; in some cases, it can be easier and less expensive to build a whole new canoe rather than fix an older one. So, if you want a canoe to pass to your grandkids, a wood/canvas fills the bill.

If there's a WCHA chapter near you, you might attend a paddling event. Most WCHA members love to share what they're paddling.

Kathy

The thing that kills both types is neglect, more than anything else. You could certainly pass a stripper on to your grandchildren if you take care of it, and, if needed, you can repair it quite nicely if you know how and have the skills (which most folks who have already built a nice one already have). The place folks get into trouble with strippers is buying beat up, weathered and neglected boats and thinking they're going to make them all better. They aren't - and they're wasting their time and money trying to do so. On the other hand, being wood canvas certainly doesn't guarantee that you can pass a canoe on if you don't take care of it either - at least not one in good condition. As for "appearing new" after 100 years, I think I'd go with "beautifully restored" instead. In most cases, I believe it's more accurate.

Best bet to start with would be to clarify the 17' Old Town you are interested in. As far as I know, Old Town never commercially produced wood/fiberglass strippers. They did sell kits for them for a short time (late '70s or early '80s). They were not great boats and the prototypes I saw were very crude.

I suspect the OP is referencing an old town covered with fiberglass instead of canvas which I think they did do for quite some time, no?

I suspect the OP is referencing an old town covered with fiberglass instead of canvas which I think they did do for quite some time, no?

Correct !! Did Old Town just cover the wood on the outside with fiberglass? Or did the canoe I located...just had the canvas removed ?? I just don't want to get into a mess. Thanks

Did Old Town just cover the wood on the outside with fiberglass? Or did the canoe I located...just had the canvas removed ??

You can post the serial number from this canoe at http://forums.wcha.org/forumdisplay.php?3 to get a copy of the original build record. This can tell you if this canoe left the factory with an external covering of canvas, Dacron, or fiberglass. The 1967 Old Town catalog was the first one to offer a fiberglass covering.

Benson

Back