Buying 1st Wood/Canvas Canoe

canooe2

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Have been an avid paddler for past 30 years and now want to spec and buy my first wood canoe. Have done mostly wilderness tripping (fly-in, train-in, etc.) and exclusively with ABS boats (Old Towne and Swift) and now looking for a classic wood boat to continue to do mostly open water/lake and some wilderness tripping on occasion. My wife, and 5 kids all paddle and we all love being in a canoe and now looking for that "classic" boat that will turn heads. A few questions:

1. best manufacturers/craftspersons
2. your perspectives on wood vs. wood/canvas
3. classic/traditional colors
4. gunwales and deck wood recommendations and why
5. other extras that will set the boat apart
6. other insights/ pros/cons

Thanks so much for your perspectives.

1. Best manufacturers/craftspersons.
Bear Mountain Boats, build a cedar stiripper yourself...

2. Your perspectives on wood vs. wood/canvas.
Nothing beats the bueaty of wood...

3. Classic/traditional colors.
Clear, light amber over natural cedar...

4. Gunwales and deck wood recommendations and why.
Cherry, Oak, Aah, Walnut, etc. i.e. what ever you like...

5. Other extras that will set the boat apart.
Sailing rigs, outriggers, bookmatched decks, sliding seats, carry yokes, etc. the sky's the limit of how fancy you want to make it...

6. Other insights/ pros/cons.
Nothing beats the pride of doing it yourself and occasionally saying, "I did it!"

IMHO, Joe

Each of us has their own esthetic sense, and when combined with what you need the canoe to do, the answer is very individual. Several WCHA members build canoes from scratch, and there are many models to choose from, including reproductions of canoe-types that haven't been improved-upon in a hundred years. Check out the WCHA classifieds and the ads in "Wooden Canoe"-- and tell us what you finally decide upon!

Kathy

As far as builders go - take a look at the following
http://www.wcha.org/buildsupply/index.html
Some of the material is dated, but the builders with websites will show you the quality of their work. Pick a few builders and have them give you ideas for a canoe that will be unique to YOU... your paddling style, your type of canoe trips, your size and load characteristics, your color scheme.

Also look at: http://www.wcha.org/builders/index.cgi and http://classifieds.wcha.org/

Once you identify a few builders, talk to them, talk to their customers then decide.
Good luck

Last edited:
First thing you will need to do is to consider which type of construction you are interested in. Modern cedarstrip canoes will be more like a fiberglass canoe than a traditionally built wood canoe. They can look very nice, but I've also seen some awful ones. They require maintenance in that they need deep scratches repaired so water doesn't get into the wood layer, and you need to maintain the varnish as epoxy degrades with exposure to UV.

Wood canvas canoes are very attractive, and very functional. They will withstand a fair amount of abuse, are usually easy to repair and restore, and can usually be field-repaired if needed to continue a trip. They will require periodic painting and varnish, depending on how often and hard you use the canoe. A typical 17' tripping canoe may weight 70-75 pounds, but there are ways to save weight if that is an importanct consideration. One big advantage over other all-wood types is that they won't require a "soaking up" time after periods on inactivity. Traditionally, most of these (some 75% or so) were painted dark green. However, just about any color or combination has been used, so make the color yours. Avoid canoes where fiberglass has been used in place of canvas.

All-wood canoes (e.g. Peterborough-style cedar strip and lapstrake) are usually varnished inside and out. They are the least able to take abuse of the various construction styles. They may require a "soaking up" time after periods of dis-use, during which time they can leak. Cedar strip canoes tend to be heavy (further, no one is making them commercially, so you'd have to look on the vintage market for one). Lapstrake canoes are typically built as solo double-paddle canoes, though tandem canoes for single-bladed paddles are a possibility.

Once you've decided on a construction method, you can start to consider what design, length, etc. and look for a builder. This would also be the time to make suggestions about wood types, options, etc. One good way to choose a canoe is to attend the WCHA Assembly mid-summer and test paddle a variety of the WCHA Member/Builders craft.

Wife and 5 kids......sounds like 2 or 3 standard tripping canoes. After 10 thousand plus miles on our trembley, our 4 kids were too much for its capacity and a second 18ft did not allow much milage either. I went for a 23 ft freighter (wood/fabric) based on a 4 1/2 fathom north canoe, to keep us exploring. With care building, you can save 150-200 lbs in weight over the commercial ones and it will be ready by spring. peter

Half an hour north? Around Silver Spring or Wheaton? If you are up for a drive I am restoring a 1942 Old Town wood and canvas canoe in the back of the outfitters store in Front Royal. I think the Festival of Leaves is the second weekend in Oct. It would keep the family busy while you're looking at canoes.

D.C. area

Based on Canooe2's description ("30 minutes north of the Whitehouse"), it sounds like we are neighbors. I live in Chevy Chase D.C., and picked up a 1953 Old Town Guide canoe this summer. I've just started restoring the boat, so we can't take it for a ride yet, but I'd welcome a visit to talk canoes sometime. Or, we could meet and paddle our ABS canoes on the Potomac. Also, Festival of Leaves with Wetweasal in Front Royal sounds intriguing.

Jeff -- thanks. Live in Glenwood MD north of Olney (70 & 32). Certainly would like to see your restoration in progress. Have any more details on the Festival of Leaves?

Mark

OK guys here goes- 36th annual Festival of Leaves- Saturday Oct. 14th 9 AM to 6 PM . Basically it's a street festival with Main St. and a few others blocked off. It has historical demonstrations, living history,arts and crafts,food, a parade, music, a childrens corner, etc. Best of all it's free. I'm working in Weasel Creek Outfitters which is right on Main St. just up from the gazebo. It would be great if either or both of you could make it out here. I think I like talking about canoes even more than working on them. Jeff, it would be nice to be able to compare notes as our projects proceed. I should be in the store either working on the canoe or helping out all day.
Richard

Back