Stem/deck Detail

Miquel

Curious about Wooden Canoes
hello-

In the process of restoring a 50s OT Yankee- i had to replace the decks, inwhale tips, and stem ends. I did have nearly complete decks to use as patterns though, and my planking was pretty much complete, so i was able to extrapolate the lines and go from there.

The question I have is this; after blithely copying the decks and stem curve that i had, i found that when i went to fit them the only way it all wouldve worked out was a little different than id expect from the various books and articles ive read had me thinking it would. Ill attach a sketch of it. Is this a way OT did this detail in the 50s or did i screw something up? Either way im going forward but im just curious.

Attachments

• B38127F5-564A-4948-9F00-A750AE02531E.jpeg
    B38127F5-564A-4948-9F00-A750AE02531E.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 304
Your drawing seems to show the inwales butting up against the back of he stem? Old Town inwales extended the whole way to the leading edge of the stems. A notch was cut from the top into the stem tip and the inwale sat on it. Typically a tiny nail was driven in to hold in inwale in place.

yknow as soon as I posted that pic I sat a minute looking at it and felt foolish. think I was getting a little too focused on the wrong things there as I was making the components. oh well. now ive got to decide if I want to redo it. thanks for the input.

Back