Steam Generator

Hummy

Canoe Dude
As I'm researching, I am wondering what others are using for a source of steam. I kind of like the idea of using a big old pressure cooker over a modified gas blast can heater I have......

Mine is a modified propane tank with a hot water heater element - electric, so I can use it indoors in the winter.

Mine is a "pancake style" (squatty) propane tank on a garage sale propane turkey fryer.
A water pipe off the old propane tank takes steam into a length of heating duct that is wrapped with an old mattress pad.
It was the first steamer that I built and have had every intention of improving it, but after 8 years as a hobbist restorer and 8 years of professional restoration, I still use it almost exclusively. Not pretty, but it works...and was cheap and easy.
The heater duct has a cap with a hole in it for the steam to enter and is laid on horses when steaming.
It's good for a couple, of ribs or a couple of gunwale ends.
I've also built a box that is about a one foot square and 5 1/2 feet long for steaming multiple ribs.

I suppose the ideal steam generating system depends on how much one intends to use it. As a "back yard" builder I started out using the propane tank, turkey cooker, radiator pipe system. I noticed that Rockler was offering an electrically powered steam generator in the $50 range that can be used inside. I purchased one of these (a couple bucks cheaper on Amazon) and really pleased with it. It hold about a gallon and a half of water, enough for 1-1/2 to 2 hours of steaming (if you fill it warm water it takes about twenty minutes to generate a strong head of steam. The device come with a 10" +/- flexible tubing that you can run to the the steam box or where ever it may be needed. The steam generator is one of the best items I have purchased in a long time. Howard Davis/Caanoetrip

Really nice rig Craig. How are you holding the ends on? I came across a video by Lou Sauzedde who used a plastic bag tube on gunwales which I may take a stab at....

I started with a Coleman camp stove for heat and kept running out of gas, so my current rig is:

LP "turkey" burner, (fed by 20lb tank), 5 gal recycled metal gas can on burner, 3" fitting attached to top of gas can, 3" plastic pipe straight up about 18" to a 12"x12" x 5" cedar box. The box can hold up to 8 -10 ribs at a time. The box is on legs so it's easy to set on or off the steam pipe. Works great.

The best system I've seen was at Stewart River canoe shop. Alex uses a std elec (?) water heater to generate steam, hard plumbed so refilling is easy, just turn the valve on and watch the site glass, the steam is then sent to either a box for ribs or tube(?) for rails.

Dan

propane cylinder and propane fryer, on its way to 200deg. Air dried wood, soaked for 3 days in a tube beforehand, and a steel backing strap for no failures. ;)
and apparently whatever shoes Rob wears, they bring luck....

Attachments

• IMG_3115.jpg
    IMG_3115.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_3119.jpg
    IMG_3119.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_3121.jpg
    IMG_3121.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_3124.jpg
    IMG_3124.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 271
I just unhook my worm and thump tank from the still and pipe it into a box. Make sure you clean out the mash from the last batch. :)

DSCF2031.jpg

Hello!
For small workshop this machine can be enough - Wagner W14. You need just 4.5 minutes to make ash-ribs ready and near 8 min for the stems. Works well for us - small, easy-to-use, has a water-off protection. After 2 canoes still works like new. I've got it in Germany, but I'm sure that You can find something like this in US.
have a luck! :)

oh sorry )) we keep them in water 2 days before bending them
and how much time do You keep them in steam machine, Andre?

As stated above these small steam generators such as the Wagner W14 work far better than I ever expected but still follow the 45 to 60 minutes of full steam per inch of thickness. Canoetrip

190 degrees at an hour for a 1x2 of white ash is enough after soaking, havent had failures or much springback. Cant see how you could get it bending easily after only 8 minutes, maybe the wood is different over there.

Andre, wood is the same :) but I was told to keep stems in the water for 2-3 days before bending them. I did so, but anyway half of stems were broken and this made me very nervous ))
With Your advise about 45-60 min I finally got needed result.
Thank You!

Attachments

• IMG-20150328-00551.jpg
    IMG-20150328-00551.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 213
Glad it worked for you! As important as any of the steps is to find and use air dried lumber rather than kiln dried, and of course the soaking helps as well. You could glue up laminated stems if you dont have suitable stock but thats not much fun! Where did you get Gerrish plans, and do you have any photos of the boats you've built so far?

Back