Spot and Glazing Putty

Mark Z.

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Some time ago there were several threads about repairs to a canvas canoe bottom without completely recanvasing. It was recommended to use "3M Spot and Glazing Putty" to fill and smooth the grooves to the canvas.

I have been searching for this product and have found:
1. "Bondo Spot and Glazing Putty". Does 3M own Bondo or vice versa?
2. 3M Spot putty Green
3. 3M Glazing putty Blue "has a longer pot life than Green"

Which is the wonder product that was used to repair the previously discussed canvas canoe? Or, is this some wonder product that 3M has seen fit to discontinue and/or rename?
By the way, I have been told that the 3M version is more flexible than the Bondo, ie., the Bondo becomes more brittle.

The next question is where is this wonder product available?

Thanks.

3M makes three different formulas - blue, green and red. As far as I can tell, they have slightly different target thicknesses, but are all some sort of air-dry polyester/acrylic, as are most Bondo putties. You can also buy similar stuff at most hobby shops (tell them you want green filler putty and they should know what you mean). Adhesion and ability to keep water out for all of them is fair at best in a marine environment and they shrink as they dry. Unused portions in the tube seem to have a fairly short shelf-life, even if you screw the cap back on securely (there is a reason why you have to puncture a metal plug under the cap when you open a new tube).

If you want a long-term supply of a putty that sticks better, seals better, doesn't shrink as it hardens, has multi-year shelf life and feathers out to a beautifully smooth edge, try "Watertite" from Interlux. You'll get two short cans of thick paste, one blue, one white. Dig out a small blob of each one, mix them until you have a uniform, light blue color and apply them like peanut butter. Let it harden and take a small chunk of sandpaper and sand it smooth. It costs a bit more at first, but you get a lot more and it will still be perfectly fine and usable years after multiple tubes of polyester putty have dried-up. It's made for use on boats, either above or below the waterline, it's easy to mix and apply, sands beautifully and is the best scratch and ding filler I've ever used. It is a vastly superior product to any polyester/acrylic-based goo-in-a-tube for filling scratches on boats.

http://www.discountmarinesupplies.c...ERLUX_INTERPROTECT_WATERTITE_EPOXY_PUTTY.html

Todd,
Thanks for the reply. That's the kind of detailed information I was looking for and for which this forum is a great resource.
Thanks again.

Back