Prepping the Bob

rstl99

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Have started prepping my Bob for a make-over (canvas paint job, varnish the decks and gunwales).

Based on advice I read here, I bought and used Interlux Watertite epoxy putty (see picture) to cover up some of the deeper gouges and scratches (nothing to worry about, but I figured I'd get it as smooth as I can).

I removed the brass stem bands to make it easier to clean them, and paint around them.

A couple of questions:

1. is it generally better to apply the varnish before painting, or vice versa (what makes most sense)?

2. should I do anything to the area under the stem bands? Apply putty? Or just paint this area too? (see picture)

Any other tips of things to watch out for, or take care of while I'm doing this makeover?

Thanks.

Attachments

• bobinterlux.jpg
    bobinterlux.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 217
  • bobunderstem.jpg
    bobunderstem.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 231
to answer your questions......,
At this point, I don't think it makes any difference if you varnish first or paint first. If the canvas were off, I'd say varnish first then canvas, fill, and paint.

Paint the area under the stem bands then apply bedding compound under the band as you reinstall it.
Cheers!
Dave

Thanks for the answers Dave!

I'll be going back to my friendly neighbourhood marine store for "bedding compound". I'm a bit new to boating repairs as you can probably tell... ;)

I suppose I'll clean up the brass stems (of paint, tarnish) with steel wool before I screw them back on (gingerly, because I note it's fairly fragile at the bends), and will probably get some new brass screws for the heck of it.

I'm enjoying this little project. :)

Yes, be cautious when cleaning up the stem bands. They are very suceptable to kinking and breaking at the screw holes. I plug the old screw holes in the stems and drill new ones when attaching the stem band.

Good idea to plug the stem holes (what do you use, wood putty?). Interesting how one screw is longer than the others on a Chestnut (same one on both ends).
Cheers!

Back