Social Media Images

I didn’t have you down as a pipe and “baccy” smoker Benson

I don't try to emulate every old canoe image I find. Some things are best left in the era where they came from. I would like to see pictures if you start canoeing in trousers like that.

Benson

Last edited:
982D1D07-777E-4214-83C7-854AC86EE253.jpeg

READY FOR AUTUMNAL ADVENTURE: A 1960’s Chestnut Chum ready for adventure in Algonquin Park early October. For some the paddling season is coming to an end so make the most of it Photo Gary from Greely OT #woodcanoe #woodencanoeheritageassociation #canadiancanoemuseum #chestnutcanoe

It looks like the guy's date in the 1926 ad does not intend to do much paddling despite holding a paddle in her hand. There is a backrest and pillow in the canoe, she's holding another and is wearing a skirt and high heels! I especially like his poke-a-dot socks. I'm going to have to get me a pair!

B9799BE3-02CF-464C-8477-CB467004E254.jpeg

A ROSE AMONGST……. Normally a classic Riva speedboat would be the star of the show but here the lovely craft “Rose” finds herself surrounded by a flotilla of beautiful canoes on the River Thames for a pub stop by the UK Chapter #woodcanoe #woodencanoeheritageassociation #chestnutcanoe #oldtowncanoes #peterboroughcanoe #rushtoncanoe

BE9AA123-E78D-4307-8BD0-11917AD22532.jpeg

MULTIGENERATIONAL CANOEING: It’s great when not only do the grandparents get involved but the youngsters too. Here three generations of the Bower family ready their 1911 Old Town Charles River for a days outing on the River Thames and it’s backwaters. This was a WCHA Chapter outing. Check out you local Chapter to see what they have planned. #woodencanoeheritageassociation #oldtowncanoes #woodencanoes

D1A96593-D4F5-43E0-BC22-8B8EDE56D117.jpeg

GOLD RUSH : Natures natural colours compliment the golden hue of Sam Browning’s cedar rib canoe on quiet backwater. Autumn has to be the best paddling season. If it’s not too late go make the best of it! #woodencanoeheritageassociation #woodencanoes #canadiancanoemuseum #peterboroughcanoes

4541D2B5-5EB6-4A32-8BC6-28DB982639D1.jpeg

CANOES CONNECT : Canoes connect both people and continents. Here a Peterborough 15S popped up 4000 miles from its birthplace. Clearly a personal import 90 years ago. Membership of the WCHA helps facilitate that connection with likeminded members worldwide. An active discussion forum along with access to historical archives can often throw up interesting information. Join today woodencanoe.org #woodencanoeheritageassociation #canadiancanoemuseum #peterboroughcanoe

D4A7D52F-9CEB-4F3B-BFFD-7463940226DC.jpeg

"With a little help from my friends."

Ken Kelly paddling one his wonderful Loon Works canoes at sunrise on Lower St Regis Lake on a chilly morning in the Adirondacks.
It was 45 degrees, and Jim Wilson the photographer was in the water up to his shoulders.

Betsy Wilson decided it needed a moon. #woodencanoeheritageassociation #adirondacks #paddlejim48

0FB7A3A5-719E-44D5-8B25-65A527C85455.jpeg

CANOE BUDDY: Occasionally it’s nice to take a buddy canoeing. Here Craig Johnson of WCHA Three Rivers Chapter introduces his 16 week old dog to the joys of an early morning paddle. Both the canoe and hound appear to be impeccable. Photo: Craig Johnson

B0964D97-B4BB-4D0D-B605-CA5B4786EA85.jpeg

NEW AND READY TO GO: A design from Alex Comb of Stewart River Boatworks. The 13’ 6”Damselfly sits along the north shore of Lake Superior on a foggy morning. This one is covered in aircraft dacron to make for a light solo canoe. Photo by Alex Comb. #wcha #wchaorg #canoe #woodencanoeheritageassociation #woodencanoe #stewartriverboatworks #damselfly #lakesuperior

HAPPY NEW YEAR

F58176FB-D075-450C-ACB3-DD4A11996BF8.jpeg

FORWARD PLANNING: We are now beyond the winter solstice so time to start thinking about springtime paddling. Check your canvas, oil your paddles and perhaps apply a coat of varnish so you are ready to go. Join the adventure, join the WCHA.

08FCE721-E673-4127-BADE-8D38C1C1CDEB.jpeg

LAST CALL: The 2023 WCHA calendar is nearly sold out with only about 10 left. Visit the WCHA store to secure your copy. Be quick or be disappointed. If you get one you won’t be disappointed!

C682D827-AF5B-4CCB-A605-3A8B98E0E1CB.jpeg

THE PORTAGE: Member Robin Lauer paused at the end of a portage to take this shot of his 16-foot, 1950s vintage Chestnut Pal and his #3 Duluth Pack. He was nearing the end of a 12 day solo trip in Woodland Caribou Provincial Park, in northwestern Ontario, in August of 2010. A more detailed account of Robins trip can be found in the December 2010 issue of Wooden Canoe, the signature journal of the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association. #wcha #wchaorg #canoe #woodencanoeheritageassociation #woodencanoe #chestnutcanoe #woodlandcaribouprovincialpark

0007D9F5-FE89-454A-85CB-77C36345F467.jpeg

OLD TOWN COUSINS AT TWILIGHT: Two restored Old Town canoes rest at the shoreline after an evening paddle on beautiful Canadice Lake in Upstate New York. The canoe in the foreground is a 1945 OTCA, and the other is a 1933 HW – both were restored by member Lew Markle. Interestingly, both canoes are listed on their respective build records as AA (or top) grade, but the OTCA is completely trimmed in ash. The best guess is that mahogany was not available during WWII. Photo by Lew Markle. #wcha #wchaorg #canoe #woodencanoeheritageassociation #woodencanoe #oldtowncanoe #lewscanoes #canadicelake

C923EF70-E9AF-4C58-A900-25C4F9E15EA9.jpeg

BIRCH BARK: This 14 foot long birch bark canoe was built in 1990 by Ferdy Goode of Beaver Bark Canoes, Arbor Vitae, Wisconsin. It is made of winter bark, which allows the builder to be very artistic by scraping decorative patterns and designs into the bark using a simple jackknife as a tool. This canoe is now part of a private collection and it lives on Broken Bow Lake in northern Wisconsin. #wcha #wchaorg #canoe #woodencanoeheritageassociation #woodencanoe #birchbarkcanoe #ferdygoode #beaverbarkcanoe

Back