So now what?????

davelanthier

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
Yesterday I aquired a 20' Chestnut Ogilvy Special [Pool model] V stern canoe. Needs 2 ribs, canvas and a little trim work but it's solid and all there. If I was too restore it is there any interest in something this size any more? I know what a 16' or 17' canoe is worth. Would this one be worth more or less than them? Thanks

Tough question. Since it's bigger, maybe more. Since it in less demand by the average canoeist, maybe less. Since many big work canoes got used-up and haven't survived, making them rare, maybe more. Since it weighs 118 lbs. on a good day, maybe less. In other words, I don't have a clue, but have always wanted an Ogilvie for some strange reason. Maybe there are others who feel the same way. I already have a 22' strip north canoe that I don't get any use out of these days and will probably sell, but there is something really neat about owning a really big canoe, so enjoy it.

There is an outfitter who uses big freighters on one of the Kootenay lakes who might give you a clue. There is a builder in the east that still makes them as fibreglass boats as well. It would be interesting to know if there is much interest. I use mine for coastal exploring every summer and most people we come across don't know what to make of them, they often ask what is the tour group, or where did you get them or if they are for sale.
peter

Attachments

• IM_A0010 copy.JPG
    IM_A0010 copy.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 369
My guess is that your 20 foot canoe would probably sell for less than a more commonly sized one. They are somewhat rare so you might get a good price if you are willing to wait for the right buyer. Tim Hewitt loved his 20 foot Guide's model when his three children were small because it was the only way that all five of them could easily go out for a paddle.

Benson

Back