Shipping a canoe cross country…

Jim Brouwer

Old Canoeist
Does anyone have any experience or suggestions with a company that could ship a wooden canoe from northern Michigan to southern California? Also, does the canoe need to be boxed or crated? If so, any suggestions on crate designs?

See the messages at http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?3130 for some suggestions. Steve at KAS picked up three canoes at my house a few months ago for a cross country trip and I believe that they have all arrived safely. A common carrier will usually require a crate but the specialty carriers like KAS do not. I wrapped the canoes in construction plastic / vapor barrier to reduce the road dirt on route. Good luck,

Benson

Attachments

• IMG_2418.jpg
    IMG_2418.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_0628.JPG
    IMG_0628.JPG
    202.1 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_0629.JPG
    IMG_0629.JPG
    300.9 KB · Views: 318
  • IMG_0627.JPG
    IMG_0627.JPG
    237.6 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_0626.JPG
    IMG_0626.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 329
  • IMG_0625.JPG
    IMG_0625.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
Steve has picked up from me and delivered to Florida, also without any special preparation.

I regularly use Steve at KAS. He takes good care of the boats. He is incredibly busy now, as his is the only service of this type, so delivery can be a bit slow. I have used him for 10+ canoes now.

I even talked them into transporting my mini 12-Meter to North Carolina once. Good people!

Attachments

• KAS.jpg
    KAS.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 329
Receintly used KAS for shipping 2 w/c canoes from Washington state to Florida. No wraping or crating required, arrived in good condition. Does any one know of a similar service available in Canada?

Back