Shell Lake "Parks" ID Help

Hi,

I'm interested in finding out more about the "Parks" designation of this SL I just bought in Minnesota. I think I recall a Craigslist ad for a similar canoe and it was attributed to Minneapolis parks. The canoe is 17' As you can see from one of the pics, it has a brass ID tag as well. The only other marking besides "Parks," is 17 on the bow inner stem.

Thanks,

Joe

Attachments

• Shell Lake Parks 001.jpg
    Shell Lake Parks 001.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 293
  • Shell Lake Parks 002.jpg
    Shell Lake Parks 002.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 285
  • Shell Lake Parks 004.jpg
    Shell Lake Parks 004.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 274
  • Shell Lake Parks 003.jpg
    Shell Lake Parks 003.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 255
  • Shell Lake Parks 005.jpg
    Shell Lake Parks 005.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 267
Joe,

I'm also curious about the "Parks" stamping.

I had an 18 ft'er (that I parted with) that also had the "Parks" in it, and I've seen several others.

Dan

Thanks, Dan, it looks like it will have to remain a mystery for a bit. Do you recall if the ones you have seen have a basic board as a center thwart as opposed to the shorter lathed thwarts pictured? It looks original (as opposed to the auto paint and bondo on the outside of mine.)

Most metal tags on canoes indicate livery canoes. The other most probably alternative is that they were work canoes for the parks department. The Minnesota Parks Dept., or maybe the Minneapolis parks dept., might have some records which would indicate the history of these canoes.

The metal tag in this case is a Shell Lake tag. The "117" on the upper line is the model number of the 17' Deluxe model. The number on the lower line is the serial number. The Washburn County (WI) Historical Society has the records for Shell Lake Boat Company and can look up your number for you.

I would think the same as Gil as to the meanoing of "Parks."

Thanks for all of the input. I received more information from the Washburn County Historical Society and a gentleman that literally wrote the book on Minneapolis parks, including a neat article on the heyday of canoeing, with many funny examples of the formal prohibitions posted agains inappropriate intimacies while afloat. Apparently, before the advent of the automobile and the backseat, it was kind of a problem.

Anyway, WCHS was able to trace the purchase of the canoe to a gentleman from St. Paul in 1946. Paid 94.80 for it. The WCHS also spoke to a man that worked for Shell Lake in the 40s and he did not recall any canoes leaving the shop with the "Parks" designation.

The author was also unaware of any such park fleet as was the Minneapolis Department of Parks and Recreation.

The best theory at this point, given the available information and its likely veracity, is that the "Parks" designation may have been some type of approval stamp for storage or use at a park system. Definitely nothing definitive.

.many funny examples of the formal prohibitions posted agains inappropriate intimacies while afloat. Apparently, before the advent of the automobile and the backseat, it was kind of a problem.

What! This is shocking. You're saying in the Victorian era they were having sex in canoes? What about the parasols and fluffy dresses? Not to mention the back seat at a drive-in movie is more private than the open canoe on a lake.

Shocking, I know. I will try to find the article. The author gave me permission to post it here, but it disappeared from my email account. It is really funny. And the guy seemed to do his research. Drive-ins not an option then; nothing to drive in to the drive in. The most popular time to canoe in the parks then was late at night. Part of the prohibitions involved eventual curfews. Not much to see canoeing at night. I never put the connection together before reading the article, but the heyday/decline of canoeing at least correlates with the increasing availability of the automobile. Followed by the advent of the drive in....

Back