Serial # 6542

watersong

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Bought a wood canvas last weekend...16 ft, quite narrow ( less than 30")...well built.

Serial # on bow stem 6542

Ghost of a label on the bow plate....Canadian Canoe Company?????? ( Shape is shield like)

thoughts?

I have no pics yet

Nothing rings a bell with anyone? It sure looks like a nice boat to me... I love the lines, and it is narrow enough to be quite fast.

Nothing rings a bell with anyone? It sure looks like a nice boat to me... I love the lines, and it is narrow enough to be quite fast.

I'm not too up on the Canadian canoes (I know my Chestnut is one because it says so) so it's beyond me to guess what your canoe is, but I agree with you about the lines. Their Chinook had similar dimensions but the model number would be ?
Looks like it will be quick. Enjoy.

Looks to be a CCC, and the shield outline is consistent. Shoe keel and details make it a Canadian built boat, although the outer gunwales look changed. And it was stained at some point in its life by the look of it. They can be quick boats, and handle nicely.

Thanks Andre!

It does have a shoe keel (or did)... and yes the guy before me stained it ( at least he did a decent job...)

outwhales have been replaced.

The measurements appear to be 16ftX12 inches deep X33 inches at the widest point...

So this is what I can gather so far...

If it is Canadian Canoe Company. there are only a few models it could be:

A #44B Habitant (16 x12x34)
A #50 "Special Canvas Canoe" (same dimensions)
or a #45 Patrol ( same dimensions)

If it is a Chestnut, it could be...

A Pal ( 16X12X34)
an Ajax ( earlier, replaced by Pal)
it could be a "Glider Sponson" ( 16X12X33)...but I see no evidence of sponsons
an "Indian" (dimensions are correct, but this had Mahogany decks etc)

The Serial number is in the wrong place for a "Canadian Canoe Company", but has the wrong # of digits for a Chestnut.

Confused? I am !!!

I've been enjoying your enthusiasm in regard to this nice canoe, and am sorry I've had nothing to offer but my unseen smiles. I think many of us will learn from the learning you've done while trying to figure out your canoe!

The Serial number is in the wrong place for a "Canadian Canoe Company", but has the wrong # of digits for a Chestnut

Sorry, I had that backwards. The serial #6542 has the wrong # of Digits for a Canadian Canoe Company, and is in the wrong place for a Chestnut

Back