Seliga Canoe

porkchapes

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi everyone. I am new here, but am wondering if anyone here knows where I can get one of Joe Seliga's boats. I am willing to pay top dollar for one of these. thanks. i look forward to getting to know you all. -pc

Joe's canoes, talk to Joe. :) Though the waiting list is likely long.

Used Seliga are rare, or as Joe has said, as rare as hen's teeth, but they do come up for sale on occasion.

In the past 5-6 years, I know of at least 6 that have changed hands, one from a listing in the adds on this site.

But how do you know of Joe's canoes? have you ever paddled one? Know somebody with one?

Good Luck,
Dan

well. i am from wisconsin and absolutely love ely, mn. it would be my home if i could find something to minimally support myself. i have never paddled a seliga, but love joe's work and his story. i called him the other night and got on the list. very long however. i may have to settle for another builder out of ely. anyone know anything about bourquin boats or is it mills canoes???? thanks everyone. anyone with a watchfull eye i would be willing to go VERY high on the price for one. -pc

Ya, I'd live there too if I could, but....so getting there as often as possible is the next best thing.

Bourquin Boats - Jeannie does very nice work, very finished. She offers 2 small solos and Rollin's Atkinson Traveler. Her shop is on the North side of Shagawa.

Mills - Scot Mills, he used to make W/C canoes, I don't 'think" he does any longer, though I don't know. I also don't know how you'd contact him.

Anther builder close is Alex Comb at Stewart River, down in Knife River, just west of Two Harbors. He also does nice work and offers a wide range of designs based on the old Chestnut and White designs.

Jeannie and Alex both have web sites, and I think are linked on the WCHA site.

Dan

just out of curiousity, how long is the waiting time nowadays, and what's Joe's asking price?

I've paddled one.
Very Nice.

i called joe and had a nice chat with him the other night. he said he just built canoes and wasnt very good at predicting the waiting list time. i have heard about eight years however. he is building a lot for friends and family. what a guy. there is something about it that is just amazing and it is protrtayed when he speaks. he kept telling me to look at the "plastic version" ( his words not mine) by bell. he said it paddles great and is just like his. it is third on my list of desired canoes behind an original and a bourquin. have a great day.-pc

Seliga Canoes

Porkchapes, Joe is sure a great guy, and his work is truly the best of the best. We took our 2003 Seliga canoe to the BWCA for its first trip this year. It was a real pleasure to paddle and just to be in. You get a chance to talk to a lot more people on the portages since people are always very curious about the canoe. We also took it on the Mississippi River this fall as part of a Friends of the Mississippi River event. As one person put it, the Seliga canoe was "the talk of the river" that day.

Are you familiar with the book "The Art of the Canoe with Joe Seliga"? Very informative about Joe's canoes, his life and the Ely area. It is available many places - Piragis in Ely sells them and the last time I was there, theirs were signed by Joe.

FYI, Earlier this year I put together a web site as a way for Seliga enthusiasts to share information about Seliga canoes and about Joe and Nora Seliga. I have gotten photos and articles from various people that are posted on the site and I am looking forward to getting more info and photos to keep expanding the interesting information available to all of us that love Joe and his canoes. (The web site is http://www.seligacanoes.org.)

I stopped in and met Jeanne Bourquin and saw her work. From what I saw, she does very nice work. I have seen the Bell Seliga Tripper. It is a very nice looking canoe since it has the same lines as Joe's canoes.

yeah i have your site bookmarked. nice job! i have the book....very good stuff. i am still looking for one. my father works at a hospital and met a woman from ely. he got talking about how i would like to move to ely, and love seligas canoe to which she replied oh i am his grand daughter. small world. however if you know of anyone has one who would sell...let me know. thanks -pc

Back