Seliga canoe

Ron McBride

I have 2 Seliga canoes. one is a 16.5 foot square stern with a serial number "7". I was a little kid and my dad and I watched Joe make it in the late 1940"s the second is a 17 foot double ender just like the one he made for his daughter. the #7 is stamped on a brass plate. the newer one has a sticker with the serial number.( I would have to go down to where it is stored to get the serial number) I am considering selling one or both since I don't use them much anymore. I would like to see them go to someone who would appreciate and care for them. I would like to know the value of both before seriously considering selling them

Do read that article and keep in mind that a canoe will sell for whatever someone is willing to pay for it. Prices can be all over the map. What the article will not tell you is what you may already know.. Seliga canoes have a cultish following and can sometimes command a decent price, depending upon the condition and how badly someone feels that they need one. Folks seem to be willing to pay a bit more for a Seliga than another canoe of similar vintage simply because it is a Seliga and they are not available very often.
One further point, square stern canoes are a bit of a pot luck to sell. Most canoeists have little interest in them....they tend to be preferred by sportsman. That may work in your favor though in that the numbers of square stern Seligas are lower than standard canoes, possibly making that a desirable canoe to someone with Seliga fever that already owns a standard one.
Again, it's a case of the right buyer finding you.....
Finally, you might find it worth your while to look at this sites classifieds. There may be some Seligas listed there. Keep in mind that asking and sell prices are not one and the same. Many sellers have highly unrealistic expectations that are usually fueled by familiarity with new canoe prices......apples and oranges in the real world but not to those unfamiliar with going prices.

Forum member Dan Lindberg should chime in here sometime. He is the holder of Seliga serial numbers and Seliga historian.
If he doesn't shine in here soon, you may attempt to send him a private message...

Ron,

I show 3 canoes purchased by a McBride on the list....

S/N 47 108 - this is the Squareback, bought by Dr. McBride, (I assume your father) - built in 1947, it was the 15th boat Joe built.

S/N 8 72 348, a 17 ft'er, double ender, yellow, bought by a Arthur McBride, build started Aug 1972.

and yours

S/N 5 73 357, another 17 ft'er, double ender, yellow, build started May 1973.

As for the value, read the posts and article, and then remember it's a Seliga, they do sell for higher prices than many other brands. BUT it also takes longer to find a buyer willing to spend more $$'s.
But, it's all about the condition - repeat, it's all about condition.
If you want to post (or send pics) I'd give my opinion. :)

As MGC stated, the square backs don't usually sell for as much as double enders.

As for the S/N, please post a pic of the brass plate, I've never seen one on a Seliga.
I've also never seen a Seliga with the S/N on decal.
Joe stamped the S/N's into the top of the forward stem (usually, sometimes the rear also).
Note, I have seen a couple square backs that didn't have the S/N stamped in.

Dan

Back