Seliga Serial Number??

Prewar70

I came across a canoe, heart shaped decks, open gunwales, aluminum stems, and what appears to be the outline of a Seliga sticker on the front deck of the type that was used then. Serial number is 49-4118-16. I am almost certain it's a Seliga, but would appreciate anyone's help. Thanks.

I am by no means an expert on Joe's canoes, and I know that Joe varied his serial number format over the years. My best guess is that the serial number corresponds to the following:
49: year of build 1949
4: month of build, April
118: 118th canoe that Joe built or put a serial # on
16: length of the canoe, 16'
My Seliga is a 17' built in 1955 for the Sommers base and is 554199. The 16' "Scout" model was a popular model during the `40's, so that would correspond with the serial number you have. Joe started building the 17' footer in 1950. Build number 118 would correspond with the the time frame of 1949 too. Perhaps others can confirm this more closely though.
Hope this helps,
John Schnettler

Dan Lindberg has created an exhaustive summary of Seliga canoes and his spreadsheet indicates that the Seliga canoe with number 49 4 118 is a 16 foot long model which was the 13th one that he built in 1949. It was canoe number 118 and the actual canoe number was 44. The original color was grey and the original buyer was Widjiwagan 5. It was ordered on 6/29/49 and bought by Bob Nankinell for Widgi. Dan often monitors this forum and may jump in with more information.

Benson

Hi Guys,

I've had a bit of communication with the poster off line.

The only thing I can add to Benson's comments is that early on the digit "4" between the year and canoe number represented a "double end" canoe, it was a bit odd as no other digit was used to represent other craft.

Prewar, did you manage to get the canoe?

Dan

I just listed my Seliga on ebay if you want to see some photos of it.

(note to moderator- if this post violates advertising policy please delete)

She's a beauty

Very nice canoe. Certainly in better shape than mine. It is comparable to one that I saw Steve Piragis sell last fall for $7000. Similar age and condition although that one did not have a keel.
What a shame that is has to pass on to another caretaker. I hope that one of my three sons is as passionate about the BWCA/Quetico as I am (two are leaving with me for Ely tomorrow for a ten day trip) so that I can pass mine on to them. Otherwise I will leave it to Chuck's Boat Base in my will.
John

Saliga

I paddeled a 18' Saliga while guiding for Sommers Canoe Base for 5 years in the late 60's early 70's they handel wounderously I hope somebody gives it the care it deserves.
Tom

Tom,

Are you sure it was a 18 ft Seliga?
Do you have any pics of it and/or know the S/N?

Not many were made and I don't know off hand if Sommers ever got any. (I don't have my list handy to check)

Dan

18 ft saliga

I'm sure it was a saliga, however it was probably a 17 footer. Sommers was buying about five a year i think, in the late sixties. Only the guides got to paddle them, they were much cherished and in pretty good shape considering the number of user days they got per season.there was a pretty good fleet of them. Camp Wiggiwaggen, the girl scout camp near ely also had quite a fleet of them

This last post cracks me up. Perhaps that's the intention. "Widjiwagan," as it's spelled, is actually a co-ed residential YMCA camp. I am, however, now going to make fun of my friend who used to be a guide there, and tell him he worked at a "girl scout camp." Ha!

widiwagan

Sorry no pun intended, just goes to show you how 40 years and the sixties effects the old hippie brain cells and memory. You are correct on both accounts

Tom,

That, a 17 ft'er, would be a lot more likely.

Sommers over time bought 122 (or 123) canoes, all were the 17 ft model except one, which was a 18 ft vee model. You'd of remembered the vee if that was what you paddled.

Joe built 6 - 18 ft double end canoes, 4 went to Rom's canoe outfitting, the other 2 went to Widji.

Widji, bought or was given (donated) about 50 canoes, starting with the 16 ft models, a few 18 ft'ers and finally and mostly the 17ft'ers. They likely have something in excess of 50 Seliga's in their fleet now, plus they are now making 1 or 2 new canoes a year, built by the campers under the surpervision of the canoe masters.

Dan

Paint color of Sommers Seligas

Dan,
Do you know if all of Sommer's Seliga canoes were painted in the same color? The ones that the guides paddled on the two trips I made (back in the early `70's) were a dark green color.
It would be helpful to me to know the manufacturer and color for my restoration. Thanks,
John Schnettler

John,

With just a quick look, all of the Summers were painted "green", there was no more description of what shade green or manufacturer.

With that said, in the later years, when Joe painted a canoe (dark) green, he used Interlux Malachy(sp) green enamel.

Dan

Does anybody have info on a Sel-Craft canoe with serial number 1169311 17? Thanks, Gil

Dan Lindberg has created an comprehensive summary of Seliga canoes and his spreadsheet indicates that the Seliga canoe with number 11 69 311 is a 17 foot long model which was the 8th one that he built in 1969. It was canoe number 311 and the actual canoe number was 251. The original color was pine green and the original buyer was from Kentucky. It was shipped on 12/9/69. Dan often monitors this forum and may jump in with more information.

Benson

Thanks Benson,

You covered it well.

Gil,
You referred to this canoe as a Sel-Craft, does this mean that it still has a decal on it and it's the one shown on the attached image?

Also, if you could provide more details of what wood species Joe used, what deck shape, and any other construction details that would help expand the record.

thanks,
Dan

well, that didn't work, anybody know why I can't attach a jpg file?

Attachments

• Seliga_Decal_2b.doc
    45.5 KB · Views: 345
Last edited:
Back