Joe Seliga Canoe Serial #

Greetings:

I recently inherited a Joe Seliga square stern canoe from my late father and I am interested in learning what year it was built. The SN# is 584223. It is my understanding that Dan Lindberg is the resident expert on Seliga canoes and often visits this site. I look forward to learning more about this wonderful canoe.

Sincerely,

Rick Kangas
Baxter, MN

Rick,

That S/N, 58 4 223, is listed for a 17 ft vee end canoe, meaning that the canoe is the same as the normal 17ft double end except that one end has a vee shape so a motor can be hung on it.

The S/N is read as 58 (year built) 4 (double end canoe) 223 (sequential canoe number). It was originally sold to a Gordan Reynolds of Biwabik. Note that Reynolds also bought a 16 ft Square stern from Joe.

This is the 1st canoe listed with a "58" so it was probably built early in the year, in 58 Joe built 8 canoes.

When you use the description "square stern", is that your words or ??
The square sterns were more of a boat with a usual transom, all were 16 ft, and had a S/N code of xx (year) and yyy (sequential canoe number). Joe did build 2 square sterns in 58, S/N 58 125 and 126.

If this is a vee back, it is a very rare canoe, as Joe only built 7 of them.

Attached are a few pics of an 18 ft Vee end canoe, (pics by the owner).

Dan

ps, BTW, a Don Kangas of Ely bought S/N 82 452 4, a std 17 ft'er.

Attachments

• 18 Vee 1.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 291
  • 18 Vee 2.jpg
    18 Vee 2.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 460
  • 18 Vee 3.jpg
    18 Vee 3.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:
Joe Seliga Canoe

Greetings Dan:

Thank you for responding to my post and sharing this information. The canoe is a vee end as it looks exactly like the canoe in the photos. My father owned/used the canoe for many years and took very good care of it. He resided in the Biwabik area. I would be pleased to send photos if you would like. Again, thank you so much for the valuable information you shared about my canoe.

Take Care,

Rick Kangas
Baxter, MN

Rick,

That S/N, 58 4 223, is listed for a 17 ft vee end canoe, meaning that the canoe is the same as the normal 17ft double end except that one end has a vee shape so a motor can be hung on it.

The S/N is read as 58 (year built) 4 (double end canoe) 223 (sequential canoe number). It was originally sold to a Gordan Reynolds of Biwabik. Note that Reynolds also bought a 16 ft Square stern from Joe.

This is the 1st canoe listed with a "58" so it was probably built early in the year, in 58 Joe built 8 canoes.

When you use the description "square stern", is that your words or ??
The square sterns were more of a boat with a usual transom, all were 16 ft, and had a S/N code of xx (year) and yyy (sequential canoe number). Joe did build 2 square sterns in 58, S/N 58 125 and 126.

If this is a vee back, it is a very rare canoe, as Joe only built 7 of them.

Attached are a few pics of an 18 ft Vee end canoe, (pics by the owner).

Dan

ps, BTW, a Don Kangas of Ely bought S/N 82 452 4, a std 17 ft'er.

Rick,

Glad to help, and that the S/N and canoe matches, sometimes you never know.

I would love to get any images of your canoe that you have.
dan.lindberg@q.com

BTW, that canoe should have the 6" wide red cedar planking, ash trim, and maybe a birch deck.
I don't have access to the record now, but it could have been glassed also.

I have 58 4 227, a std double end that Joe made that year for a camp, just 4 numbers newer than your's.

Oh, how did your father end up getting it from Reynolds, and did you know him?

Dan

Back