Seat removal issue

enggass

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
I am thinking of replacing the seats in my canoe, if nothing else, refinishing them. I removed the first screw / nut on one, and after being removed, the connection area didn't budge. Is there something else holding it in place? or is it just 30 years of adherence and it needs a good whack! I am afraid to whack too hard...

And/or, is it better to leave them in for now being that they will provide frame support while I work on the exterior bow/hull/nose, new deck and new outwales?

whack away

A judicious whack is in order. Support the inwale with womething if you like. I start with small taps, then thumps, then whacks. Small taps are better. But be careful.

I was able to remove the nut and but, but the connection remained firm. That's why I was wondering if maybe there was more to the connection other than just the one bolt and nut. I will try 'coaxing' it off with the rubber end of the hammer idea!
Thanks

BRM....a couple good whacks with a big rubber mallet should do the trick. They are often hard to remove.

I was able to remove the nut and but, but the connection remained firm. That's why I was wondering if maybe there was more to the connection other than just the one bolt and nut. I will try 'coaxing' it off with the rubber end of the hammer idea!
Thanks

If you got the nut and bolt out but it's still holding it may just be the last varnish job sticking (or someone used glue :eek: ).

Thanks all... she's out! It was just sticking. The rest fell as soon as I released the nut...

Back