Replacing New Rib And Outwale

gsgreene

I am replacing a cracked rib on my 1931 OTCA and have a pretty basic question that I'm sure has been covered before. When hammering in the new tacks, do use the same tack location/holes from the previous rib or do you fill the existing holes and use a new location?

Additionally, I am replacing the stbd outwale. I've steamed and scarfed the new outwale to match the one that is being replace but need to drill pilot holes for the screws. I need to match these pilot holes to the existing hole locations in the ribs and inwale. Obviously because the screw does not extend through the inwale, I can't simply drill the pilot hole through the inwale to the proper location. Instead, I created a tool similar to a strap duplicator used for aircraft sheet metal construction to find the proper rivet hole location when one hole already exists. Has anybody else done this and/or does anybody have any other ideas for determining the exact pilot hole location when replacing the outwale?

I do not put new tacks into old holes, but do drill a 1/16" pilot hole, and use brass ring nails, not steel like Old Town did.
When I replace an outwale I will put tiny pencil marks on the inwale at the location of the nails so I don't drill thru there. Obviously the new screws should go thru the rib tips, but not necessarily into the old holes. Tom McCloud

I don’t try to find old holes for new gunwale screws. I just drill them and sink the screw. Occasionally I get a spinner if the old hole is wallowed out, but it’s not normal. You could plug all of the old holes with match sticks, golf tees or dowel stock. Then you don't need to line up old holes with a new gunwale.
I typically don’t use the same holes for attaching ribs. I do drill a 1/16 hole into the rib tip only. Not into the inwale. I do use bronze ring nails, which are readily available. Not sure where Tom gets brass ring nails...never seen them.

Back