Sandy Destroyed my Canoe

xcugat

Hello All,

I have not been on this forum for a very very long time (since before the servers crashed to give you an idea)
I return with very sad news.
I have a 17 foot long old town HW canoe that was built in 1928 and was in the process of being restored (Deglassing stripping Etc) I have many projects going on so this one has been benched for a long time. The canoe was special in that it was one of the sail boat versions, and I used this site to get the original bill of sale some years back. It was up on sawhorses in My backyard (I live in NY) and a huge perfectly healthy black cherry tree got uprooted during the winds of Sandy and destroyed the canoe entirely it split it perfectly in half :(
We lost many trees and have some damage to our house, so we are making an insurance claim. I would like to claim the canoe as well, but I need some help in how the process works for something like this (assessing value proving value etc)

If anyone out here on the inter-webs can help me, I would be very grateful.

Sorry to hear about your canoe disaster. I can't help with your insurance claim but might suggest you do a search for Fred Capenos' restoration of Bits and Pieces, a canoe that was busted in half and had been stepped upon by cows. It is amazing what damage can be restored in a wood canvas canoe. Don't give up hope and don't "give up the ship". Good luck.

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. The information at http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?57 may help you come up with an insurance value. A similar 17 foot long Old Town canoe is currently listed at http://www.oldtowncanoe.com/canoes/classic_wood/molitor_17/ for $8,699.99 in canvas and $9,399.99 in fiberglass which may help you with a replacement value. Fred Capenos's article "The Saga Of Bits and Pieces" in Wooden Canoe issue 155 (October 2009) as Mark mentioned shows that canoes like yours can be repaired if you really want to save it. Good luck,

Benson

Bummer about your canoe! I am fortunate enough to live far, far from hurricane country, and snow load seems to pretty much be a thing of the past. The up side, if you are looking for one is the "huge black cherry tree". Can you say lumber? Although, from what I gather on the news, it seems like downed hardwood trees out there are kind of like beetle kill pine out here: more than you can shake a stick at.

At least you are healthy! Remember what Rollin said, "give me a rib, and I can restore a canoe!"

Any photos? I've put canoes back together which have been chopped in half by trees, so there is hope for yours.

Back