Sacrilege

Craig Johnson

Lifetime member
Don’t look Benson.
Just finished a new paddle. One of the earliest paddles I carved (white cedar and just 1 lb.) that has served as my main everyday user, developed a crack in the handle after much heavy use. I wrapped it in leather and have continued to use it for the last couple of years. I decided I better have a replacement ready but a search through my white cedar stock didn’t provide a decent blank. Eventually I realized I had this beautiful piece of 80 year old quarter sawn spruce hanging on my garage wall.
FC0E5FD6-487C-417C-BA90-EA19FF600064.jpeg
I thought “ how any antique Old Town paddles do I really need hanging around as decorations.” I have some that are in better shape that I let others use if I don’t have enough of my own. Let’s face it they are a bit heavy and clunky with a handle about as big around as a baseball bat. Any way after removing anything that didn’t look like the paddle I wanted I was quite pleased and it came near to the same weight.
04BCA07C-229F-4A03-BD66-835E7538C778.jpeg
I am ready to try it out.
58A8AB96-7648-4D59-87F6-A0ADC7C5FD95.jpeg 4C7FDAAE-BD9A-4B0B-8E6B-BDCF7BE75528.jpeg
old one on left, new on right.

No cause for offense, you probably know that my usual response in situations like this is "It's your canoe..." (or paddle in this case). I'm just glad that you plan to use it. It is more frustrating for me to see nice restorable canoes get cut up for book cases or other decorations which will never see the water again. Enjoy it,

Benson

Back