Rushton Indian Girl

fred capenos

Canoe Pilot
Can anyone tell me the correct location on the bow deck for the shield for an IG made after John Henery's death? (Inc) Thanks in advance, Fred

Ig

Dave,
The ribs are in, the inside has three coats of varnish,and the inwales are going on in the morning. Two new thwarts are made, decks are repaired, seats still need recaned. Outwales need a little work, canvas, filler, paint, and bang plates. Almost done

Kathryn,
The shield and painter ring found me. I wasn't even looking. What a nice surprise that was.

Denis,
Did you forget about me? My guess is the shield goes about as far forward as it can go and still be completely on the deck. (apx. 6" forward from the point of the heart, to the bottom of the shield) Then the Painter ring goes right below the shield????? Fred

Can anyone tell me the correct location on the bow deck for the shield for an IG made after John Henery's death? (Inc) Thanks in advance, Fred

Here is a photo of an IG in the ABM collection...

Attachments

• IG deck 1.jpg
    IG deck 1.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 283
would love pics

Fred, would love to see pics of your finish project. I have what I've been told is a 17' Rushton Indian Girl, post J.H., year unknown. I do have the serial number stamped in the wood and matches the Ohio title we have. Would like to compare serial numbers with yours, if possible. I'll look that up and repost my serial number. Looking for pics of your decks and gunwales, and dimensions if possible. A lot of those pieces were missing, damaged, or "repaired" when I started on this thing. Trying to get as close to original as I can without spending a fortune.

regards,

jeff

Ig

Hello Jeff,

Our IG has serial # 4385. We found the words " J H Rushton inc Camden New York" on the stems forward of the serial #. I think that makes both of these canoes after John Henery's Death in 1906.
Still lot's to be done here on this project. And this is a new computer, so our photos will need to be down loaded from our camera. Fred

Hello Jeff,

Our IG has serial # 4385. We found the words " J H Rushton inc Camden New York" on the stems forward of the serial #. I think that makes both of these canoes after John Henery's Death in 1906.
Still lot's to be done here on this project. And this is a new computer, so our photos will need to be down loaded from our camera. Fred

Fred, that should be Canton NY where JH built IG's

No worries. Other than cows, colleges and fine fishing there are not too many things that St. Lawrence County can brag about but JH is certainly one of them and the County seat, Canton, is where he built his boats.

Back