Indian girl

Dear Paul, it’s ok, just busting you in fun. I didn’t give Dan or Benson credit either. I believe my canoe to be pre INC. No serial # or Badge of Shame. See enclosed photo for reference. Another canoe I bought on eBay. I never did get it though. Seller didn’t own it.

Sincerely,

Robert P. Ross
Ross Bros.
PO Box 60277
Florence, MA 01062

Attachments

• r6.jpg
    r6.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 397
Peter, you weren’t out bid. You didn’t meet reserve. I just hit it a little harder.

Robert P. Ross
Ross Bros.
PO Box 60277
Florence, MA 01062

MGC,
Very kind of you to offer the measurements on your 17 footer. Like most others, I have lots to do and can wait as long as it takes to gather the needed info. However, if any one else wants to jump in,, the more the merrier. Can't have too much info when your learnin'.

Fred

MGC,
Very kind of you to offer the measurements on your 17 footer. Like most others, I have lots to do and can wait as long as it takes to gather the needed info. However, if any one else wants to jump in,, the more the merrier. Can't have too much info when your learnin'.

Fred

In that case I'll climb up into the rafters and get the dimensions for you. Not a problem...

Can someone post the dimensions for the cleats that the bow seat rests on for our 17 ft. IG? And are they made of Cherry? Also, still looking for the length of the Stern thwart.

Thanks, Fred

Attachments

• Rushton Indian Girl 046.jpg
    Rushton Indian Girl 046.jpg
    727.2 KB · Views: 386
  • Rushton Indian Girl 047.jpg
    Rushton Indian Girl 047.jpg
    629.1 KB · Views: 389
  • Rushton Indian Girl 048.jpg
    Rushton Indian Girl 048.jpg
    558.6 KB · Views: 390
Fred,

The simplest way to go about it is to use straps, clamps, or whathaveyou, and bring the gunwales into a fair curve. Measure the the distance between bolt holes, add a little bit, and Bob's your Uncle...

Dan, You are fast.

The issue at hand is I have three sets of holes to chose from. If I had the length of the thwart or the distance from the fwd. bolt for the stern seat I'd be in good shape (this canoe has had a home made sail rig at one time)

Fred

MGC,
Very kind of you to offer the measurements on your 17 footer.

Fred

Fred,

I guess I learned something today. I thought that the canoe I had stored was a seventeen footer. It's not. It's sixteen. Sorry about that. I did take a picture of a long deck for you. I'll add that to your other related post.

MGC,
No apologies necessary and we appreciate all the effort. We located another 17 and another 16 to look over and we just become more confused. That's part of the fun I guess. I have the rest of my life to re-do this boat, and the answers are out there someplace.

I'll post another question on the Forum about long decks and will thank you publicly. I looked our inwales over , and there are no nail holes or screw holes where the deck frame or deck would have been attached. Fred

MGC,
I screwed up! The message above was meant to be a PM. Oh well, I'll keep trying.

My question is, did all Indian girls start out with short decks and then some have long decks installed over them? Or--------Do all long deck Indian Girls have short decks under them?

Fred

Our IG has always had short decks. I'm aware that Morris slapped long decks over short decks occasionally. This appears to have happened when a customer ordered long decks, and for the sake of speed/simplicity the longer decks were added over the short ones on a completed canoe. But that wasn't true all the time, with Morris... and maybe this is the case with Rushton as well.

MGC,
did all Indian girls start out with short decks and then some have long decks installed over them? Or--------Do all long deck Indian Girls have short decks under them?

Fred

Good question.... in my opinion, the short decks were installed as rough pieces to hold the rails in place. It appears to me that they must have had some idea how the canoe was going to be finished when they installed them. The shorts decks on the long deck boats appear unfinished, as though they were simply cut out and then installed. The photo's I added here are from the same canoe so you can see what I mean.
http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?t=5135&page=2

Back