Road Trip

KAT

LOVES Wooden Canoes
How to get 2 canoes from Connecticut to Manitoba...

We had been talking with the owner of the canoes for over a year with the idea of procuring the Morris from him, but how to get it out here was the problem. He skipped a planned trip to western Ontario last year but we persisted and pulled it off this year.

Robin left Connecticut for Nakina, Ontario on Thursday morning and we left Warren, Manitoba the same morn. We met up at a friends place in Geraldton, Ontario on Friday, Robin arriving about 10 minutes after we did, although none of us were in contact with each other the entire time. None of us had met before either, we are all just members at Canoetripping.net.

We drove 1004 km on our end one way, Robin drove 1800 km one way. He brought the 2 boats for us and his Chum since he went off on a solo trip yesterday, where as we just turned around and drove home.

What we got was, a 17 foot Morris that is in dismal shape and will take hordes of work to restore, and, a Penobscot Canoe Co. Pecaco?, which we believe is from around 1917 or so. It is in better shape, only needs maybe 10 ribs where the Morris needs 28. The inwales on the Morris are not intact and a little clever kit bashing and the fact the keel is still in place helped to keep it from breaking in half on the way home.

The Penobscot shows up previously in a post from 2005... http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?862-What-s-this&highlight=2765+17

The Penobscot is a bonus, we really only wanted the Morris and we know it will take a great deal of work to bring it back to life, but it is a Morris so it must be saved. We have the decks and two thwarts, seats too but I don't believe they are original, unless they used pressed cane for seats on a Morris.

2017 km round trip for two canoes not available in the middle of Canada. A chance to meet online friends in the flesh. All packed into 3 days.

Karin

Attachments

• Home in one piece.jpg
    Home in one piece.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 241
  • Morris 1.jpg
    Morris 1.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 228
  • Morris 2.jpg
    Morris 2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 238
  • Penobscot 1.jpg
    Penobscot 1.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 243
  • Penobscot 3.jpg
    Penobscot 3.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 232
  • Penobscot 4.jpg
    Penobscot 4.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
So, Kathryn, I know the Morris you are somewhat familiar with from the previous owner, but since you have a keen interest in details, here is what we have.

The serial number plate is gone, but was oval on the inwales as seen in the two photo's.

It has 3 cant ribs.

The decks are mahogany as is the seat frame, although I am not sure the seat is original or just modified. The decks are shown as is, after having many layers of paint stripped and hardware re-attached. There were several coats of white over the base red paint.

The seat frame was originally drilled but at some point the holes were plugged and a slot cut to allow for pressed cane, then it looks like the slot was filled and wood was nailed over top. The other seat frame is incomplete.

It has two thwarts and I will get deeper into this when I finish the present 2 projects.

Karin

Attachments

• Morris Seat Frame 1.jpg
    Morris Seat Frame 1.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 183
  • Morris Decks and seat hardware.jpg
    Morris Decks and seat hardware.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 204
  • 3 cant ribs.jpg
    3 cant ribs.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 184
  • Morris Serial Plate location 2.jpg