rib replacement under the stem

ticonderoga

"Just one more"
I am in the process of restoring a 1932 Old Town HW that needs several ribs replaced. I have replaced ribs before, BUT never under the stem ! It is the second and third rib from the end of the stem. Will I need to remove the rib closest to the stem end as well, just to slip the other ribs in? OR will I have to remove all the planking on the end to get at the old ribs and install the new ones. Any advise will help and be appreciated. Thanks

Not sure about the HW but these could be cant ribs or false ribs that don't actually bend around the stem. Cant ribs go in in pairs on either side of the stem. The first and probably second ribs are likely cant ribs and maybe the third but I doubt it. In any case you may need to remove or loosen the sheer planks along the rail to gain access to the nails at the rib tips. Also makes installing the new ones a little easier. Remove all the tacks from the bad ribs and see if you can work them out in pairs. Even cant ribs are sometimes nailed into the stem but it doesn't take much effort to free them. If they remain tight down at the stem then you're probably dealing with a full rib that passes under the stem. Sections of the garboard planks that run along either side of the stem will have to be cut back so you can get the old rib out and the replacement in but you don't have to remove all the planking. With an opening at the stem and a little room along the rails you can prebend the replacement ribs using the other end of the boat as a form and then slip the V-shaped replacement into place vertically. Have a couple extra ribs ready because you'll probably snap a couple. Soak the ribs and steam or boil them and then use a backer strap (plastic or light guage metal) to increase your odds of a successful bend. Minor cracking, peeling, or crushing is not uncommon on these tight bends but major failures should be discarded (save for use as cant ribs). Hope this helps!

I had a full length rib under the stem on my OT that needed to be replaced. Only one side was bad, so I cut that out and did a replacement just as you would do a cant rib. It is a very tight bend on the rib towards the stem so prebending is a must.It seemed that it was difficult to get good leverage to make the tight bend at the end, so maybe you could use a full length rib and bend it over the outside hull like you might do with a regular rib replacement and then cut it in half and just use the half that you need.As a cant rib. If the whole full legth rib is bad maybe you could do the outside bend and make two cant ribs out of the new rib and use that. Just a couple ideas- good luck Bill

I never thought of making a full rib and cutting it in half. I think I will try to loosen up the stem from the bottom and see if I can slip in a new rib in one piece. if it doesn't work or is to much work then i will make a full rib and cut it in half. Great idea. Thanks. I 'll keep you posted with results and photos.

Back