Restoration horror stories

Melthias15

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I am in the mist of my first restoration of a canvas canoe, and I feel like I have enough horror stories and F&%$ ups to fill a book. I am wondering what horror stories the rest of you have from your first restorations.

Having done builds and restorations on small boats completed first complete canoe restoration last summer, my 2 cents worth of advice is get some good directions and follow them, reading Rollin Thurlow's book, the bible, and his instructions for canvassing with his canvas resulted in a problem free job with good finished results. That along with the invaluable resources here is a good recipe to keep s*%t from happening.

You mean like when my puppy chewed on the gunwales of my Rushton or when my neighbor snapped a split (but attached) piece off of the mahogany gunwale on my Carleton?? That sort of thing?
Or are you looking for stories like starting the gore on different ribs on opposite sides of the mold (not that I would ever admit to that!).

Keep your work inside after completion of each work session. Rebuilt all the rib tips and gunwales on my Robertson long deck, and while the wind was coming up one spring looked outside just in time to see a downdraft lift it from the rack it was sitting on in the yard and throw it about 15' with spectactular, though predictable, results. Remnants burned like every other canoe despite its pedigree. :mad::mad:

Yeah, these were the kind of stories I meant. People always say that you are going to make a lot of mistakes the first time, but sometimes I can't get out of this headspace that I am the only one that is messing up. Hearing the screwups that others have made helps remind me that this is just a part of the learning process.

When I was much younger, maybe 25 years ago, I remember coming into the shop on a Friday morning, fairing and oiling a hull and then recanvassing it and finally burning the nap off. By then it was lunch and in a rare moment of generosity I took my co-worker out for lunch and a pint...it was Friday afterall :-) When we returned we were most alarmed to find the shop full of smoke and the newly canvassed canoe on the verge of self immolation. Needless to say the afternoon was spent genuflecting to the canoe gods for not burning down the shop and then removing the burnt canvas, replacing 10' of scorched planking and a second recanvassing. Whoa, did I learn my lesson! I had checked the boat before we left but, well, I now check them 3 times and usually with a spray bottle on hand...yikes!.

A lesson from my grandfather at a very young age . Everyone makes mistakes a good man can fix them!! A better man can fix anyone's

On my 1st restoration, it took me 3 tries (and plenty of help from this group) to get several ribs bent/installed right.

Dan

Back