question from a newbie

sammykc

Recently I obtained a W&C canoe in need of restoration. The canvas was pulled off when I got the canoe so the planks are exposed. I can see some rot at both bow and stern in the planks. Also the stems look rotted. There are inwales intact but there are no outwales. Also the decks are rotted. All the ribs look ok to me. I have some, but not a lot of experience in woodwork and no experience with canoe building or restoration so I have some question.

1) Where do I start? Obviously the rotted pieces need to be replaced but I’m worried about keeping the canoe together if I just rip out all the rotted parts at once. Does it matter which pieces I replace first? Should I strip the old varnish first?

2) What kind of wood do I use? How do I know what type of wood is used for the planks and should the replacement planks be of the same type. Looks like some kind of cedar.

3) Do I need to invest in any tools? I have a good work shed but not many tools in it. The only power tools I own are a disc sander, drill, jig saw and skill saw. Will these do?

4) Where can I get supplies in northern British Columbia?

5) How do I learn about this canoes history? I don’t even know who the manufacturer is. I think one deck has a decal on it with the sears logo.

Thanks for any answers to these question. Any advice is appreciated.

Post pictures if you're able, and someone may recognize what you have.

Get a copy of Stelmok and Thurlow's "The Wood and Canvas Canoe"... and check out some of the good canoe building/restoration videos on YouTube if you are able.

Find out if any WCHA members live near you... they are a friendly, helpful bunch.

Some builders offer classes-- where you take your own boat in and work on it, while others work on theirs.

Keep coming here with questions and descriptions of your progress.

Use the "search" function at the top of the page to find older discussions of something that concerns you.... I know there was an old discussion of "the perfect shop".

Welcome!
Kathy

Hi.

-I'll try to give some more specifics, but Kathy has it right. Read, study, research. Here are my thoughts:

1) Where do I start? Obviously the rotted pieces need to be replaced but I’m worried about keeping the canoe together if I just rip out all the rotted parts at once. Does it matter which pieces I replace first? Should I strip the old varnish first?
-You can open up the end to get to the tips of decks and rails and then splice them with good wood. Stripping varnish can be done either way. I'd do it 1st.

2) What kind of wood do I use? How do I know what type of wood is used for the planks and should the replacement planks be of the same type. Looks like some kind of cedar.
- for ribs and planks use cedar, red or white, if you can find it. You can order it from the suppliers listed here on wcha. Deck could be anything from birch to mahog. Rails could be mahog, spruce, ash, etc. And you can get it already milled.

3) Do I need to invest in any tools? I have a good work shed but not many tools in it. The only power tools I own are a disc sander, drill, jig saw and skill saw. Will these do?
-table saw minimum in order to mill the outwales. Or buy them already milled. If steam bending or boiling wood to get it to bend you will have to make a steamer or boiler. It's a simple task.

4) Where can I get supplies in northern British Columbia?
-check the builder/supplier section of wcha.

5) How do I learn about this canoes history? I don’t even know who the manufacturer is. I think one deck has a decal on it with the sears logo.
-Dan Miller has a great website with an id aid. wcha store has several good references.

Back