Question about installing outwales

Tim Belcher

Apprentice
I've clamped my outwales in place and found that they are a little shorter than the inwales, so don't quite reach the points at either end. I also likely cut more of my canvass off the top at the ends than I should. I'd be grateful for any suggestions how to proceed. I've cut 1/8 inches off the top of the last cant rib in the front, and shaved off a little on the inside and outside of the end of the out wale (first picture). I haven't yet done anything to the aft (second picture). Absent a better suggestion, my current plan is to get some 2 mm brass plate to create a cap to cover the top, sides and face of each end, to put under the stem band. I'm thinking it would give some added protection when I need to rest one end on the ground as I load or unload it. As always, any advice would be welcome.

B1B1C066-1565-460B-B68B-2395CE177A65.jpeg

B1BAE070-4114-4FD3-9402-B3CA7224A1B1.jpeg

Sounds like your proposal with sheet brass would be a good solution and it's easy to solder together if needed.

Last edited:
I made the mistake myself. I suppose you could splice on the outwale to get back to the length you need. I would make new ones. And save the short ones for a shorter canoe. Or tomato stakes.

Thanks Dave. I thought of splicing some kind of wooden end, and may end up doing that. I've got the ends looking a little better than in the original pictures, but also tried making some brass caps. The plan would be to run the stem band over them. A better metalsmith would have done a prettier job. The tomato stake option isn't my first choice. I bought the gunwales from Island Falls Canoe, driving out to Maine from Vermont to pick them up. I'm pretty confident I'm not up to cutting and bending 16 feet of spruce as precisely as they did. Right now I'm so close to getting this in the water that I can taste it. Thanks again for the help.

C5DFA78A-81E3-4255-8BAD-CF7699A3F0E1.jpeg

Back