question for replacing gunnels

Heff

Curious about Wooden Canoes
hey guys heres a question for ya. I am going to scrap the already cut pine that came with the boat for me to replace the gunnels, and I'm ordering in ash. the dimensions that I can get it are 2x4 and 10 feet in length. its $85 a piece. so heres my dilemma: my inwales are an inch wide by an inch I believe, cant remember off the top of my head, and my outwales are 3/4 of an inch thick by 1 1/2 inches , so if I stick with those dimensions, I would have to order another $85 piece of wood. however , if I make the outwales 3/4 inch by an inch, I could do all the inwales and outwales with the one board. do you think that would be ok?

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_2901.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_2901.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 282
$85 for a 10' 2x4 of ash is almost $13/ bd. ft. I would seriously consider another source for the ash. $3/ bd. ft is closer to the going rate in the midwest .

ya I live in jasper alberta Canada and the local hardware store quoted me $8.77 per ft, and I wanted a 10 foot piece. any ideas where I could get it cheaper?

We're having a problem with the Emerald Ash Borer. It's killing ash tress left and right.
If you want to take a run out to Western NY I can let you take a tree from my property. I'll let you a saw and introduce you to a person with a portable mill. Sounds like you could go into the ash business!
Did you find out if spruce was available and at what price?

Is the 2x4 a true 2" x 4" or dressed as that will cut down on your available dimensions. And if there are any imperfections that you have to work around, then you are cutting it very close with saw kerf and all.

I would most likely go ahead and use the pine. If you are convinced not to use the pine, Sitka spruce is an excellent gunnel material and shouldn't cost any more than ash. Ash was used by builders because it was readily available. It makes a rather stiff gunnel and is shock resistant. It is not as rot resistant as spruce or even northern white pine.

Is the "pine" you have pine, or spruce? If it's spruce, you already have the best rail material.
As Gil said, ash was only used because it was available, it is a poor wood to use on a canoe.

If you are determined to use something else, get some mahogany or cherry.

Sitka spruce is quite expensive here on the west coast where it grows due it being more valuable overseas or abroad. I use white oak more than ash due to ash's tendency to mold.

thanks for the replys guys. spruce here is a heck of a lot cheaper, I can also get oak, what would be the best do you guys figure?

As has been previously suggested, use spruce if it's available. That would be better than pine and better than ash.
While you are at it make up an extra set of outside rails and hold them in reserve for next time you need replacements...except for finishing, your saw and setup time to make a few extras will be minimal.

Back