Primer needed?

Tipiguy

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Ok, I have now put the canvas on the canoe, filled it with Chill Seal mastic, and sanded it. Is it ok to put some primer on it? I have a can of Kill Seal II that is a pretty good primer. Is it necessary or recommended?

Also, is it ok to wipe it with mineral spirits prior to painting? I plan on applying the paint with a roller and tipping it. The paint is epoxy paint I bought from Island Falls Canoe.

I appreciate all the help. I can see the end and it is exciting. I just do not want to mess it up now.

Tipiguy

I am not familiar with Chill Seal Mastic but when It comes to painting you don't have to prime but I highly recommend that you do. A good Primer, like what Kirby sells really goes on well and fills well and sands well. Much better than top coat I think. Congrats on reaching the home strecth, just in time for ice out.

Tipi,

Where you purchased your epoxy paint from Island Falls Canoe, I would give them a call. Jerry, I know uses and has recommended Chil Seal as a canvas weave filler and I believe that someone in the shop there can give you the advice you need.

If Jerry is in fact using Chil-Seal, then I would contact him for advice about filling, priming and painting, especially since he sold you the paint...

I used this stuff on a few canoes a number of years ago, and was not thrilled with it. Had a number of cosmetic problems. Rather than spending a lot of time troubleshooting, I went back to fillers that worked for me. Maybe it was because I didn't use primer...:rolleyes:

Back