Power washing inside of canoe

Michaux Hiker

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Is there any harm in power washing the inside of my canoe? (on a low power) It has been fiberglass and what I believe the original canvas still attached which will have to come off eventually. The inside of the canoe was painted and the paint is chipping and cracking off. Just thought it might speed up the process of stripping and scraping the old paint off. Thanks in advance.

Mike

Cedar is exceptionally soft so it is easy to inadvertently raise the grain and do other serious damage with a power washer if you are not careful. A stiff brush might be safer. Good luck,

Benson

Thanks. Thought it might not work. I've done my deck and put some deep grooves in the deck boards before I got the hang of it.

If you are very careful you can use the power washer.....I have used one occasionally. Use a wide spray setting and don't let it sit in one place for very long. As Benson notes, cedar is very easily damaged.

I find the power washer very good at removing the crud between the ribs and the plank. Either that or a garden hose nozzle. Just don't try to remove varnish that needs some more stripper with the power washer.

I use stripper and let it sit at least as long as the instructions, keep it wet, do small area, then I scrape it out with a plastic spatula/putty knife that fits between ribs. I scrub with a nylon bristle brush and then power wash with an electric power washer very carefully. Oh, and I scrub with tsp too. But be really careful with the power washer.

I am in the process of stripping my 1924 OT Otca. I too am pressure washing as I go. I divide my canoe into 5 basic sections - stern to seat, seat to thwart, center section, center to bow seat, and bow section. I HEAVILY spray the first section which I will scrape clean, the other sections get a lighter spray just to loosen things up. I let it sit 15 minutes and start to scrape and wipe with steel wool. Then I pressure wash the WHOLE canoe lightly with a delicate nozzle. Then I move on to the next section and start the whole process over again. After doing the whole canoe it looks pretty good. I will do another round again in the next couple days. I did have two areas where I cut into the planking, but they are getting replaced anyways. It was my carelessness more than the pressure washer's fault. With the delicate nozzle it is fairly effective and low risk of damaging the canoe. I have found this an effective process which helps to reduce my scraping effort. It is still a nasty, long process which I cannot wait to be over.

Good luck with your project.

Back