Pics for Kathy & Denis

Andre Cloutier

Firestarter. Wicked Firestarter.
Wasnt sure if you got a picture, tho I know you were inquiring so I'm sure you've added us to your list ;)
Just a teaser for you, what a great boat. Nice trip, nice owner, pretty good weather.

Attachments

• P1090322.JPG
    P1090322.JPG
    429.3 KB · Views: 351
Those gunwale caps, that stem profile... I just KNEW that was a Morris under all that plastic wrap! It does look like a nice canoe.

M

Thanks, Andre

Your canoe was known to the database, but I added your name and the picture (didn't have a picture!).

Congratulations, you have a great canoe. Will you be taking it to the Assembly?

Kathy

The seller mentioned you'd been in touch with him, it had been his grandfathers as I'm sure you know. Spent its life in a barn and then in his garage for about 25 years, its in terrific original shape. It only needs canvas and refinishing, no new wood at all. No gloating here as I'm very fortunate to have acquired it since there was a fair bit of interest, but it wont see assembly this year. I'm hoping to make it for a day or two, but work and a 12 week old surprise and 2 growing toddlers prevented me from participating more and offering more help to Rob and everyone. I'm hoping to paddle to the liftlock, although I'll make it Saturday come come hell or high water - which we'd be prepared for! Just how large is the database anyways?
Love that shape.....

Attachments

• P1090329.JPG
    P1090329.JPG
    395.5 KB · Views: 340
  • P1090334.JPG
    P1090334.JPG
    402.7 KB · Views: 331
  • P1090335.JPG
    P1090335.JPG
    409.8 KB · Views: 344
Andre,
Nice canoe!
Are you going to keep the dark red color on the inside? I re-stained our Belle Isle Morris and it is a pretty good match. I have the formula using Min-wax stains if you want it. We are trying to find the photos so you can see what it looks like.
Either Kathy or I will post them if one of us can find them. If not I'll go take a couple more. Though I have seen Morrises with a lighter finish it seems that the dark red finish is usual.
Denis
Ps. Kathy said she just found one and will post it! :)

Congratulations Andre,

That is a very nice canoe. And it still has it's tips. :)

But, what's the rest of the story,
where did you find it?

Dan

Morris Interior, Stained

The new ribs don't have screw-holes in them, for the keel, or you wouldn't be able to pick them out.

This canoe should be ready for the 2009 Assembly.

We're in that stage of life where "the little ones" at home have four legs and waggy tails... but I have a clear memory of being the mother of human children, when the things I wanted to do often had to be modified. Glad you'll be able to get to the Assembly for a while, Andre.

Kathy

Attachments

• int Morris BI.jpg
    int Morris BI.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 352
assembly and red canoes

Denis, that would be great, i would appreciate your formula to try to match - I want it authentic as possible.
Kathy - how does one drive 8.5 hours to Massachusetts and then flake on Assembly when its 2 hours from the house?:rolleyes:
Dan, this was advsertised in the WCHA Classifieds and i just happened to contact the seller first, luckily. As told to me, the owner had had it in his garage for 25years - after his grandfather passed away at around 85, the property was sold and rather than leave this in the barn he took it home. Reportedly it was purchased by his grandfather in his teens, and was an older boat then. My shaky math puts it early 1900's based on its oral history, but as many have mentioned these are sometimes dubious.
Luckily when he got it home and removed the canvas he kept EVERY screw, tack and nail and they're all perfect. The canvas was painted over but near as I can figure it was a burgundy colour, havent found any stripes or names yet but the green overtop is hard like armour.

Very nice,

It sounds even better after hearing the history.

Be sure to post some pics as you are working on it and when you get it done, for those of use who can't play wth canoes yet. :)

Dan

Andre,
Well I may have put my foot in it this time! I looked where I thought I had written the formula and low and behold it wasn't there. I will search some more.
Sorry for the delay.
Denis :(

Back