Pal or Prospector?

JPembleton

Chest Nut
Picked up a new to me canoe this week. Made the same mistake with this one as the last "project" canoe I brought home. This canoe is made by Cedarwood. It has a standard keel, so I just assumed it was a Pal, as with my last , after getting it home I'm starting to think its a Prospector.

Any thoughts? I'll be putting it up on the market and do not want to mistake a Pal for a Prospector or vice versa...

As a bonus it came with what looks like a child size Chestnut canoe paddle (51")

Jamie

Attachments

• IMG_1071sm.jpg
    IMG_1071sm.jpg
    461.7 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_1072sm.jpg
    IMG_1072sm.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_1073.jpg
    IMG_1073.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_1074sm.jpg
    IMG_1074sm.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
Looks more like a pal to me. Prospector has a bit more tumblehome, I think.
But hey, send it over to me and I'll let you know.LOL..
this is why I can't find any canoes in Freddy! You got 'em.

I don't think I've ever seen a prospector with significant tumblehome that stuck out more than most canoes. At pretty much 14" deep, with a rounded bottom I'd guess on the Prospector myself.

Not sure, never actually considered stem profile. But this is why I ask questions :)

Maybe i'll take a picture down to Steve and simple ask him....

If you compare the Pal and the Prospector on http://greatspiritcanoes.com/html/canoes.htm the Pal is very shallow and the prospectors stem is not as vertical as one might guess. Mind you the photos available there do not show great details.

I have what I think (was told) is a Cedarwood Prospector 16'x36"x14-15". Supposedly made on old Chestnut forms by former Chestnut foreman in Fredericton, New Brunswick, CA. My canoe has no keel and a round bottom with some tumblehome, and considerable rocker. My guess is it is not a Prospector.

JimBinTN

By my last statement, I meant to say, "I don't think your canoe is a Prospector." I think mine is a Prospector. The Great Spirit website describes all the various models, which seem to be the same models as the Chestnuts.

My intention is to make a period two masted sailing rig (Batwing or Balanced Lug) as seen in the Todd Bradshaw book, over the next winter. Does anyone have any experience with sail rigs on a Prospector?

JimBinTN

It's good that everyone in in agreement :).....

The one thing I had forgot to measure before was the width, 34" planking to planking. With this beam I figured it was more likely a Pal. I have it listed on a few sites as a Pal, I'd hate to be wrong on something like that.

A prospector is a cruiser with 3 inches of added depth. Factory made prospectors can be distinguished by 2 construction details. In the center up near they sheer they used extra wide planks, 5-6 inches inches. The ribs were beveled on one side only. Starting in the middle, one set of the beveled side of the ribs were on the bow side of the canoe. At the middle, the orientation flipped so the beveled side were pointed at the stern end of the canoe. The one Cedarwood Prospector I have seen did not have extra wide planks. Perhaps Carl did not have enough wide cedar stock. Check the edges of the ribs. Are both side rounded over, or one side beveled?

Back