Half rib installation?

JPembleton

Chest Nut
cedar.jpg

I've started rehabing a Cedarwood Prospector (quite possibly a Pal) and I was considering the possibility of installing half ribs in it as I go. With the relative rounded bottom would half ribs be a problem? I typically spend most of my time standing in my canoes as i go down a river and think half ribs would provide better support.

Half ribs tend to straighten out and hog a round bottom canoe. Thompson Brothers Canoes with half ribs are by far the worst canoe hogs. B.N. Morris extended the half ribs so far into the bilge that the planking was deformed( sorry for criticizing B.N.). Install a longitudinal floor rack if you need to spread your weight. It's Easier to build and much better for the canoe.

Taper the ends of half ribs (in thickness - I hit the underside of the ends on my drum sander) and cut them to length such that they stop short of the severe curves on the sides and you'll minimize the forces that may affect the hull shape. When I put them in I keep them in boiling water in my turkey frier and flex/pre-bend by hand as they go in. Between the steam and the tapered ends they are flexible enough that they conform to the bottom rather than try to push it out. The extended half ribs Gil mentioned are just asking for trouble! I also agree with his observation on the Thompson boats. Thompson used widely spaced ribs and half ribs the same width as the full ribs to create a solid floor. The pressure of their full width/full thickness half ribs resulted in hard corners in the bilges instead of fair curves and often a hogged bottom.

Floor racks are easier to make and I think very effective. As well, they keep gear dry when the small amount of paddling water sloshes round the bottom. You still have to steam bend the cross pieces to conform to the hull. No big deal.

I have a 17 foot Prospector and I have often wondered whether half ribs would deal usefully with some issues. For one, the hull is very flexible. I can’t say for sure how much more flexible compared to others, but my impression is markedly more flexible.
Someone from Vermont had for sale a 16 foot Prospector, made in Maine and with half-ribs. Stelmok canoes sometimes have half ribs and I wonder what the advantage is.

Thanks for the input.

Think i'll try and make a few half ribs with tapered ends just to see how they fit and decide from there.
Not really interested in floor racks so it's the ribs or nothing.

Jamie

Back