Cedarwood Pal (Made from Chetnut Pal Mold)

ozarkpaddler

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I've wanted a W & C canoe for decades, but the $$$$ has always been too prohibitive. I have a chance at purchasing a W&C Pal made by Cedarwood Canoes, a company no longer in business. It is made from the old Chestnut Pal mold. Trying to get an idea of the specs, and though I've tried, all I can find out about this particular canoe is that it's about 16'. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks in advance

I’m going from memory but Cedarwood I think would be a canoe made by Carl Jones who was a foreman at Chestnut before it closed. The Pal would be Chestnut’s pleasure model, a very versatile and much liked canoe and the few I’ve seen made by Carl Jones were all first rate construction. You know of Bill Mason? While he’s often linked with Chestnut Prospector model, many contend he used a Pal just as much

Yes, I have Bill Mason's videos and a couple books and recall most of his paddling was in the Pal. I was especially interested in weight as I'm not getting any younger or stronger (LOL)! Thanks

Weight is a very tough spec to guess. And factory supplied weights very unreliable. Somewhere between 65 to 75 lbs would be the ballpark.

According to the Chestnut Canoe Company catalog, the specs are as follows:

The Pal is 16 feet long, 36 inch beam, 12 inch depth, weight is 70lbs.

"Bow & stern cane seats, 2 thwarts, flat shoe keel.
# 10 canvas. Catalog states the Pal & Chum given more beam for greater carrying capacity & stability.
Ribs 3/8" x 1-1/2" spaced 1-1/2" apart."

Back