Cedarwood Prospector?

JPembleton

Chest Nut
Picked this one up recently assuming it was a Pal. After removing the canvas and taking a better look at it I beileve it may be a Prospector. The sad thing is I don't like Prospectors :)

Attachments

• IMG_0697.jpg
    IMG_0697.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0698.jpg
    IMG_0698.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_0699.jpg
    IMG_0699.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 228
  • IMG_0700.jpg
    IMG_0700.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 232
If it is about 12" deep it is a Pal, about 14" deep it is Prospector. Both will have about a 36" beam. Prospectors are harder to find and acquire than the Pals. I will gladly trade you for a good Pal if you can get your Prospector to my place in the same condition it is presently in.

Last edited:
I had measured it earlier when i figured it wasn't a Pal. 14" from the planking to the top of the gunwales. Looked too round to be a Pal so it got me thinking. Now if i was heading out for a month long trip in waters unknown then a Prospector would be great but Pals make for a nice daily driver.

Well said. My usual user canoe is a narrow rib Pal that weighs in at 65 lbs. but right now I have 4 Pals and no Prospectors. Wish you were closer, maybe we could strike a deal.

I'm still thinking about that one as we talked about Dave- mines a 17- Garry model, and Prince George is pretty close. It's got me some mad lately- Saturday I got stuck at the wrong end of a mountain lake when heavy outdrafts kicked up from heat. Four km's beating to windward just about had me thinking a big bonfire could be the resto that boat needs. Ever try a temp keel? I'm thinking something velcro'd- no matter how I trim that boat (including extreme bow forward, which is interesting when whitecaps break over the gunnels!!) will just not hold a line to windward. On the bonus side- what a day- hot and the spring salmon in the upper Fraser seem to be having a great year. Saw hundreds within 200 metres of creek too shallow for the canoe, amazing.
Wild rivers
Gary

Back