Old vs new ????????

All the data from the old site has been transferred to the Forum site (except for the 347 spam post!). A backup of the data has been made, links have changed to reflect to new address and I'll disable the dns entry. Then, I'm planning a big bonfire / burning at the stake celebration. Bring marshmellows!

Hi Roger,

A couple questions about the new classifieds:

First, is it possible to add a "Post Date"? That helps to sort the listings.

Next, is it possible to enable the "New Posts" feature that is available in the forums?

Finally, is it possible to use the "Canoes" section to list all of the canoes without the granularity that it currently has, eliminating the type sub-listings?

Point being, this current format does not allow a quick browse to see new listings.
With the old format you could simply look at canoes by date listed (at the top) and tell what was new.
From that perspective, the "old" format was quite a bit better since it eliminated multiple clicks to access information.

Thanks for the update Roger and all your hard work in setting up this new classified . Seems the older I get the harder it is to embrace something new and the new always requires a little twigging at first. It would be great if MGC points could be implementated. I look forward to the multiple photographs. Bags of marshmellows are waiting here for you to pick up. PARTY TIME !

Hi MGC and Dave,
Good questions. The Post Dates should function normally, see the post under Accessories for the Thompson seats. I entered everything at once so there is little change in the date. As the list ages, we should see the Post Dates become more meaningful.

New Post. I "think" this is working, but I can't really tell from my machine and honestly, I don't fully understand all the nuances of the forum.

Canoes. Well, I thought it would be better to brake them them out into categories, but .... I can move all the boats into Canoes without much trouble. Besides you and Dave, anyone else have an option?
Thanks for the marshmellows,
Roger

Well sense you asked.

I was looking at the canoe "divisions", and agree that the divisions take more strokes to check all the adds, but am not sure what is a good compromise.
My 1st thought was Canadian, US and other but.......

Also, I assume that as folks post their own adds, your name will disappear and the sellers will show up as the listing party?

And it would be nice if the price was included in the title.

Dan

Well sense you asked.

I was looking at the canoe "divisions", and agree that the divisions take more strokes to check all the adds, but am not sure what is a good compromise.
My 1st thought was Canadian, US and other but.......

Also, I assume that as folks post their own adds, your name will disappear and the sellers will show up as the listing party?

And it would be nice if the price was included in the title.

Dan

Yes, my name will disappear (rather embarrassing!!) and the posters name will appear. We could ask people to include the price in the title.

I do rather like the one list. Let's let some others weight in then I can make the change. I'll post a test ad.

Maybe post location in the title? But then we have many things in the title... probably need to set priorities.

That's nice & concise... of course, people will stray from it, but that'll happen no matter what you do. Maybe put a sticky as the first post, to try to outline guidelines?

Or what's "too much"?

That dog don't hunt

Since that depends on the person inputting it, it won't work. Systems always need to be designed so that the input/output is managed. Case in point, look at how many wanted postings appeared in the for sale section of the old classifieds. People will do whatever they want as long as the system permits.

My questions about the new posts are moot since the new classifieds show up as New Posts from the main page.

Last edited:
Back