Old Town Square stern

rowboat

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi,
Is there any info on Old Town 144626 (no length digits)?
It appears to be an 18' square stern with sponsons.

Thanks!

The Old Town canoe with serial number 144626 is an 18 foot long, CS (common sense or middle) grade, square end paddling model with open spruce gunwales, half ribs, a keel, outside stems, sponsons, a rowing seat, and rowlocks. It was built between March and June, 1946. The original exterior paint color was dark green. It shipped on July, 1st, 1946 to Etna, Maine. The back side of this record shows that it came back for repairs in 1952 and was returned to Newport, Maine. Scans showing both sides of this build record can be found by following the link at the attached thumbnail images below.

These scans and several hundred thousand more were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you will join or renew your membership to the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/about-the-wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://store.wcha.org/WCHA-New-Membership.html to join.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Benson

Attachments

• 144626.gif
    144626.gif
    337.4 KB · Views: 212
  • 144626-b.gif
    144626-b.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 209
Hello Benson,
Is it unusual to see galvanized metal on old canoes? I have not noticed this before. Thanks, Macky

Macky,
Since you mentioned it, I had to take a piece of sandpaper to the sponson rail. It is galvanized! It is 1/2" wide, 1/8" thick, rounded like stem band but with a flat back.
(I guess this is the right boat!)

Thanks Benson!

This info seems to match. Do you have any idea what the transoms on these boats were made out of?

Is it unusual to see galvanized metal on old canoes? I have not noticed this before.

It is unusual but they may have been using up some old left over stock from the war years when brass was less available.

Do you have any idea what the transoms on these boats were made out of?

I haven't been able to find a specific catalog description of the wood used for the transoms for this model. Other boats are specified as having transoms with either "mahogany or ash" so my guess is that ash was probably used on this one. Others with more restoration experience may be able to offer a more informed opinion.

Benson

Presuming at least some of the transom is still with the boat, it will speak for itself. Mahogany and ash are very easy to distinguish from one another. Can you post some photos of it?

Dan,
The chunk of transom left seems to be Mahogany. As this is a CS grade, I didn't think that it could be. I plan on rebuilding it with ash gunwales and deck (spruce is impossible to get in New England, and very expensive)... and a new (African) Mahogany transom should look nice. I guess a visit to Goosebay Lumber is in order when the rain stops!
Thanks to you all for the info!

Back