Old Town Octa?

M Grallert

Trout Whisperer
This is my winter project. I think it's an Old Town. The # is 48561 16. I'd love to find out more about it.
Peace
Matthew

#48561 16

Matthew,

Old Town canoe #48561 is a 16-foot AA (or top) quality Ideal model that was built in 1917. It had open mahogany gunwales (a key detail since most were closed gunwale canoes then), and apparently maple 24-inch decks. It had half ribs, outside stems, and a keel.

I can't read part of the build record. Perhaps others can help decipher it. These scans are sometimes sketchy. I cannot read where the canoe was shipped. I can't decipher the color either. It had a one-quarter inch gold stripe edged with a line of purple. Must have been a handsome canoe. I hope you'll post photographs.

Click on the scan below to get a larger image. This scan and several hundred thousand others were created with substantial grants from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (WCHA) and others. A description of the project to preserve these records is available at http://www.wcha.org/ot_records/ if you want more details. I hope that you and anyone else reading this will join or renew membership in the WCHA so that services like this can continue. See http://www.wcha.org/wcha/ to learn more about the WCHA and http://www.wcha.org/join.php to renew.

It is also possible that you could have another number or manufacturer if this description doesn't match your canoe. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions.

Norm

Attachments

• 48561.jpg
    48561.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 240
handsome is right!

What a great canoe! The trim is bird's eye maple! Not just the decks, but the thwarts and seat frames. Color is auto gray. I can't make out the destination either.... [something]dale.

The Ideal was Old Town's fancy upgraded canoe, and the person who ordered this one had it further-upgraded with the bird's eye maple trim. Catalogs state that AA grade is mahogany or bird's eye maple, but this is the first time I've seen "BE Maple" on a build record.

As Norm said, the Ideal had open gunwales, which were "ideal" structurally and also for maintaining the canoe (easier to dump water out).

The Ideal model is an AA grade Charles River with open gunwales and half ribs. This one also has outside stems... and that bird's eye maple trim.

Please post pictures of this canoe. Old bird's eye can be very very lovely... gets little black outlines on the eyes. What a treat.

Kathy

Encouraging!

Well this is great! I had an idea it was more then ordinary canoe. I have pictures and I will try again to post them. I just got it safely put in the barn for some further inspection. Then I will get to work.
Another really neat thing about this boat is that it was shipped the date of my youngest daughters birthday, only lost and lots of years earlier.
peace
Matthew
Tried the photos again something about a security symbol? I won't give up.

Cool that this canoe already has "family history" with the connection to your daughter's birthday!

I forgot to mention that AA grade Old Towns from this period don't have diamond-head bolts holding the thwarts and seats, but have wood plugs covering countersunk bolts.

To post pictures, scroll down to "manage attachments" in the box below this one and click on that--- you should get a browse box that allows you to choose pictures from your computer. Sometimes if it doesn't work, it's because the picture file is too large. If you still have problems, you can email the pictures to me and I'll post them for you.

kathrynklos@gmail.com

Kathy

Another try at pictures

This is another try at the pictures of my Ideal AA 1917

Attachments

• Old Town 002.JPG
    Old Town 002.JPG
    212.2 KB · Views: 239
  • Old Town 003.JPG
    Old Town 003.JPG
    216 KB · Views: 236
  • Old Town 004.JPG