Old town Guide 18ft model offsets

Thanks Bob,

I learned sonething today. You should write something up for the WC. :)

Sounds like Pat and his Camp should have no problem then if they want to take the lines off an OT Guide and reproduce it, as long as they don't refer to it/the canoes as OT Guides.

As for this Camp buying OT Guides instead, I've talked with the Camp "Manager" in the past and being a non-profit, they didn't even have money to buy "projects" much less new canoes, and he was looking for "project" donations that they could repair to increase their fleet of W/C canoes. It sounds like they are planning to use donated labor and on site materials to build new W/C canoes for their fleet instead.

It will interesting to watch this.

Dan

Would that lawyers could consistently tell us what was legal. But that’s another subject.

Mark Twain campaigned for a revision of US copyright laws in the 19th century. Back then copyright on publications ran out in a ridiculously short period of time: seven years I think. To copyright a book in England, the author had to be physically present in England on the day of publication of the book. There was no copyright treaty between the US and Canada. Canadian versions of his books were constantly published and he received no royalties.

Twain’s main point was that copyright, literary quality, and economics were intimately connected. Most books had no market after seven years. Nobody was interested in them. He thought it outrageous that books of enduring quality—like his—could not be copyrighted so as to yield to his descendents an enduring income.

Wow...i didnt think this would evolve into such a worthwhile post for me! I think i have gotten every single question i have had awnsered, plus more. I thank you all for your input and your insight into my projects for the summer, and i will keep you posted on our progress......
also i attached my lofting of the AT in autocad...has anyone done this before, and then used a CNC router to cut out the stations?

Attachments

• strongback.jpg
    strongback.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 517
Pat,

There are programs such as Prolines, which can deal with offsets very effecitvely, and plot them out as fully drawn stations. Any well drawn set of canoe plans should be done well enough for wood/canvas cosntruction. Rollin's certainly are.

The truth is, for building this kind of mould, there are so many process steps to go through, that having CNC precision on the cutting of the stations, is a precision whose benifits you would not fully realize. Each station, except the center, has a bevel, the longitudinal as well as the horizontal placment has to be perfect. THEN, you still need to apply your sheathing strips, and fair the mould, then you need to apply your metal bands. IF you can ensure that all those steps will be done absoloutely precisely, then you might get something out of CNC cutting.

As to your original question, while you might be able to get offsets for the OT Guide by documenting one, you'd be better served working from designs not still being offerred and built by the originator of that design. There are a number of canoe designs which will meet your described needs. Plus, I can tell you its a whole pile of extra work to document and accurately reproduce a certain canoe model. I just finished that process on a 17'6" Kildonan canoe, and I'm glad that I don't have to do it often.

Back