Old Town Canoe

harrisfam

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I am interested in the Build Record for a 1952 Old Town, serial number 157846. Could you please post it? Thanks!
Karen

Ot 157846

Karen,

The canoe you inquire about was shipped to Long Island, NY., on July 22, 1952 as a 16' Low End HW (heavy water) in CS (common sense) grade. It featured half ribs, entered in as having a keel but no keel was added and the original color was aluminum. A build record is attached.

If not already a member, please consider joining the WCHA to help support this and other services which were brought about substantial grants and other funding. If you need repair/restoration advice, this is the source for you.

All the best,

Ric Altfather

Attachments

• 61401.jpg
    61401.jpg
    501.2 KB · Views: 242
Thanks!

Thanks so much for the info. My husband and I are considering purchasing this canoe and like to have as much info beforehand - it looks beautiful. We want to do some canoe-packing (I don't know if that's what it's really called, that's what my family called it though) with our 11-month-old and get started on (another) outdoor family sport. This is a terrific site, thanks for all the hard work you guys put in to it.
Karen

A future canoe enthusiast!

You won't regret that decision to introduce the wee-one to canoeing. The wave action, wind and water seem to pacify them for hours...don't forget the PFD. Good fortune on your decision and future paddling...check the Assembly forum and archives for the childrens activities and possibly make plans for next year, lots of fun for the young and older alike.

Thanks for contacting the WCHA.

Ric

Karen,
What color is the boat now? Just for a joke, I have considered painting a canoe aluminum, complete with painted on rivets and seams in the Grumman pattern.

The canoe is aluminum in color, but it does not have the painted on seams and rivets ;) That sounds like a very creative idea and would look really cool. I always wondered why they didn't make a wooden canoe with sort of a double hull, wood with aluminum sheeting covering the outside. I think it would make a very beautiful and durable boat. Of course, maybe someone did make these. I haven't seen any though!

Clay (Karen's Husband)

Back