Old skin on kayak frame

Cricket123

I'm new to the site today, hope you can can help. I'm looking to get some sort of idea of what my frame is worth. My brother had this made in the sixties, to be exact some where around 1966. I'm not sure who actually made it, but it was made somewhere near Otisfield, Maine as that's where we grew up. I took the skin off as it was full of holes and rips. That is about all I know. Any info would be great. I think it looks great, and I would like to think it has some valve other than its sentimental value too. L11', W25", D14".

(Sorry in advance for the upside down photos)

Thank you!

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

The information at http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?57 describes how to value an old canoe and many of the same principles apply to a frame like this. Your frame appears to be home made so your best market is probably going to be someone looking for something to hang up as a display piece. My guess is that you might be able to get a few hundred dollars for it but probably not much more. Good luck,

Benson

I would tend to agree with Benson; your frame will likely be of modest value, at best, and worth what you can get for it. More likely to appeal to someone as a 'hanger' or other decorative item; the potential buyers will be limited in number - interior decorators, antique shops??? Anyone seeking a kayak for pleasure and recreational use today is far more likely to buy a (inexpensive) fiberglass one needing little or no maintenance, rather than first having to re-skin your old frame, then worry about not puncturing it. The emotional/sentimental attachment you feel will not likely be reflected in others, but you could try asking around local paddling clubs or small boat shops.

Thank you for the replies. My thoughts reflect yours. I see it more of a decretive piece also. The frame is very solid, no dry rot anywhere. I have a great room for a living room with large beams and I believe it will be mounted on one very soon. Again, thanks for the thoughts?

Rusty

I think there are a few folks over at the WoodenBoat forum that had these types of kayaks in the family and took the time to re-skin them and use them. I don't think it is that hard of a project. You might do a search over there for some examples if you have an interest.

Fitz.

There is a bunch of information on the QUSA website about skinning greenland and aleut style skin on frames. Doing it to this one would be no different. The poly/nylon fabrics are wicked tough and they can be treated with anything from several coats of paint or clear finish to a two part poly that is produced for the purpose by Corey Freedman that is very abrasion resistant.

Thank you. I have thought about putting a skin on the frame, but not sure if I really want to use if for fishing or get a fishing kayak.

I suspect that this will be a faster paddle and tens of pounds lighter than any of what currently is around as a fishing kayak which are well set up for fishing with rod and drink holders, some with places for tackle boxes. But they are not fun to paddle.

Back