Vintage Pionier Kayak Frame

cvcstock

I am new to the forum and have what I believe is a vintage kayak frame made by the Pionier Kayak Company. A good friend gave the piece to my wife and me who had admired it for so long in his house. We like to decorate our house to provide it with a lake cabin feel, i.e. vintage paddles and oars, vintage wooden skis, antique trapping baskets, vintage trout baskets, antique wooden fishing lures, etc... The frame measures 17 feet 6 inches stern to bow. The beam is 36 inches and the cockpit depth is 14 inches. The frame is made of many wooden rods with metal end caps. A metal sleeve slides over the two ends to join them. Braces are also wooden. The plan is to hang it from the ceiling with a large rope in keeping with our lake cabin theme. More for conversation with friends and family, I'd like to be able to tell them what I have as it will surely be a topic of discussion. I would also like to know what if any value it may have. I don't have any plans to sell it, just curious. Pictures attached.

Attachments

• Bow Port Side Stamp.jpg
    Bow Port Side Stamp.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 31
  • Pionier Kayak Frame Top Bow.jpg
    Pionier Kayak Frame Top Bow.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 30
  • Pionier Kayak Frame Cockpit to Stern.jpg
    Pionier Kayak Frame Cockpit to Stern.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 27
  • Pionier Kayak Frame Cockpit to Bow.jpg
    Pionier Kayak Frame Cockpit to Bow.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Pionier Kayak Bow A.jpg
    Pionier Kayak Bow A.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Bow Top Stamp.jpg
    Bow Top Stamp.jpg
    279.3 KB · Views: 22
  • Bow Starboard Side.jpg
    Bow Starboard Side.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 25
  • Bow Port Side.jpg
    Bow Port Side.jpg
    302.6 KB · Views: 30
Thank you, Sam. Posted to the French site. Thank you Google Translator. That was not the easiest forum to navigate. Hope to get a few responses. I will keep you posted.

Chuck

Welcome aboard Cvcstock! I have owned a couple of folding Folbots, and one rigid. I've seen Kleppers but not paddled one, and looked at another European folder that I can't recall the maker. I own a sail rig from a Pionier too. In my years of searching and using wood boats I've only seen a couple of Pioniers posted. I don't think the frame has much sale value. While some people will ask high prices for Klepper frames, I've also seen them free. The less known Pionier would have a much smaller audience. It's a very handsome display piece, it could probably be re-skinned and used if you like. Thanks for posting it here.

I also have an old Pionier kayak. It’s a 540G, tandem folding kayak purchased new by my father in the early 50’s. I have fond memories of being paddled around in it as a youngster. The frame is intact but the skin, while also intact, is quite dry and brittle. I have been trying to find a collector/buyer who might resurrect it with a new skin but no luck so far. You might be interested in the story of Oskar Speck, who paddled a Pionier from Germany to Australia pre-WWII.

IMG_4783.jpeg
IMG_4788.jpeg
IMG_4798.jpeg
IMG_4787.jpeg
IMG_4786.jpeg

Patrick, I have a Klepper from the mid 60s I am slowly working on. The hypalon hull is in ok shape and waterproof and a buddy of mine will replace the canvas with a sunbrella (sp?) material this year. If your hull is in ok shape let me know, may be able to help out with new canvas. I have never seen that kayak but it looks super cool. Looks similar to a Nautiraid Kayak I saw once.

Back