New to the forum with a new canoe!

rangerkevin

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Hello all, and thanks! I have been pouring over the site for the past month picking your collective brains without you even knowing it. I have previously been a member on the WCHA (#7928), but let my membership lapse. It is most definately time to renew. I built a cedar strip canoe (wee lassie) back in 2004, and just purchased a wood and canvas canoe last month.

The gentleman I bought the canoe from had attended the boat building school in Brooklin, Maine with Jerry Stelmock a few years ago. He ended up leaving with one of the boats and he never finished it. Thats where I come in. I bought the unfinished gem from him and began the task of making her seaworthy. Now I know that she may not the prettiest boat out there, but I think she looks pretty nice for my first go round of this type. I also added a personal tough with the fishing fly I hand painted on the bow deck. She is 12'9" and a sweet little boat. Because of the color, and the fact I am a Wildland Firefighter, I have named her "Wildfire".

I spent a month getting her ready for the water and look forward to christening her. Please enjoy the before and after photos.

Kevin Oldenburg
Claverack, N.Y.

PICT1462.jpg

PICT1461.jpg

PICT0087.jpg

PICT0085.jpg

PICT0091.jpg

Welcome back (and I believe if you ask Annie, you can get your old number reinstated).

Beautiful work--- love the snappy paint job!

Kathy

excellent job

I am a retired Idaho smokejumper who is making his hobby a part time job building and restoring canoes and kayaks. You should restore some more canoes. You have a talent. Pete

I am a retired Idaho smokejumper who is making his hobby a part time job building and restoring canoes and kayaks. You should restore some more canoes. You have a talent. Pete

Were you based out of McCall? They flew us from Council Mountain on a fire down to the smokejumer base there. I think that was back in '06.

McCall

I was based out of McCall since 1983. I retired from the jump base in 2007 as the parachute loft foreman, and spend my time building and restoring canoes, repairing sewing machines, and herding our dogs and cats. Pete

Very cool. Our crew got to work with a few McCall jumpers on the Messenger Fire (I believe it was the last names of one of the jumpers) in 2007 on Council Mt.

Back